Gaddafi’s son given special assistance while in London: SourcesMarch 21st, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.21 (ANI): Questions have been raised over London’s Labour Party’s ties with Libya after it emerged that Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi’s son Siaf al- Islam Gaddafi was provided special assistance by British secret intelligence service MI6, as a student in London.
The assistance was provided following Libya’s request for protection for Gaddafi’s son, who was their unofficial negotiator with the British Government.
MI6 had agreed to provide Saif with a ‘point man’ to guard him in case of security threats.
These special priveleges have added to speculation that the Tony Blair Government was prepared to go out of its way to please the Gaddafi regime.
Saif had arrived in the UK in 2002 for a one-year Masters course, followed by a four-year PhD, at the London School of Economics. He used the time in London to develop close links with Labour administration seniors, The Daily Mail reports.
During this time, Britain broke off trade ties with Libya following the Lockerbie bombing and the murder of police constable Yvonne Fletcher outside the Libyan embassy in London.
The special protection given to Saif suggests he came to London with London’s knowledge and approval to negotiate the removal of trade barriers.
The British Government has denied this allegation. (ANI)
- David Cameron welcomes Gaddafi's death - Oct 21, 2011
- Scottish police questions Libyan defector Moussa Koussa over Lockerbie bombing - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Britain using soft approach with Gaddafi defector Koussa' - Apr 03, 2011
- Gaddafi's son seeks friend Tony Blair's "diplomatic" assistance in 'crushing their enemies' - Feb 25, 2011
- Gaddafi's son ready to surrender in international court - Oct 27, 2011
- Gaddafi representatives in talks with France - Jul 11, 2011
- Libya regime targets British embassy after Gaddafi 'assassination' attempt - May 02, 2011
- Cameron rules out deal to offer refuge to Saif Gaddafi - Apr 02, 2011
- Gaddafi envoy in Britain for secret talks on exit strategy - Apr 01, 2011
- David Miliband terms Gaddafi's son's LSE lecture in his father's name "horrific" - Mar 07, 2011
- UK set to seize Gaddafi's billions in London - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Koussa knows nothing about Lockerbie bombing': Gaddafi's son - Apr 06, 2011
- Tony Blair tried to get Saif Gaddafi place at Oxford - Dec 01, 2011
- Gaddafi's fate to be decided by Libyans: Britain - Jul 26, 2011
- Relatives demand UK to grill ex Libyan FM over Lockerbie bombing - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: british secret intelligence service, colonel gaddafi, daily mail, embassy in london, gaddafi regime, labour administration, labour party, libyan embassy in london, lockerbie bombing, london school of economics, mail reports, masters course, police constable, secret intelligence service, siaf, time britain, time in london, tony blair government, trade ties, yvonne fletcher