Gaddafi warns of ending cooperation with EUMarch 11th, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi Friday threatened to break off cooperation with the European Union on combating terrorism and illegal migration.
Gaddfi, in an address to an emergency EU summit in Brussels and carried by Libyan state media, warned that the country would drop its obligations to the EU and pull out of international agreements unless the EU recognised Tripoli’s efforts to tackle terrorism and illegal migration in North Africa.
He urged the EU to join forces in the fight against al Qaeda’s presence in Libya.
European leaders are meeting in Brussels to try to reach an agreement over measures to weaken Gaddafi’s forces, which have been violently suppressing rebels in Libya since mid-February.
Reports Friday suggested that Gaddafi’s forces had reclaimed the rebel stronghold of Zawiya, west of Tripoli. Rebels are also reported to have fled from the oil terminal of Ras Lanuf.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy and British Prime Minister David Cameron are building support for a UN resolution to impose a no-fly zone over Libya.
Sarkozy claimed France and Britain were ready to launch “targeted air strikes” on Gaddafi’s key military command positions if his forces used chemical weapons or warplanes against civilians.
Russia Thursday joined the UN arms embargo on Libya but says it is opposed to western military intervention.
The UN Security Council has frozen the assets of 26 Libyans, including Gaddafi, his family and his close associates, and banned them from travelling to UN member states.
- France, Britain ready to hit Libya, says Sarkozy - Mar 11, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- Pro-Gaddafi forces renew air attacks on rebels - Mar 08, 2011
- Gaddafi troops take control of Ras Lanuf - Mar 12, 2011
- Libyan Govt. warns of more 'action' after taking over crucial towns - Mar 11, 2011
- 'France, Britain to continue military operation in Libya' - Sep 16, 2011
- Fighting engulfs Libya; EU, Russia impose sanctions (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Fierce fighting keeps Libya on the edge (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Japan freezes $4.4 bn worth of Gaddafi regime assets - Jun 04, 2011
- UAE to send 12 planes on Libya mission: Sarkozy - Mar 25, 2011
- Fresh attack on rebel-held oil terminal in Libya - Mar 09, 2011
- Gaddafi ready for ceasefire but refuses to step down - Apr 30, 2011
- Fighting engulfs Libya as Gaddafi offers bounty for opposition leader (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- EU approves possible military operation for Libya - Apr 02, 2011
- Russia objects to foreign military intervention in Libya - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: air strikes, arms embargo, british prime minister, combating terrorism, command positions, david cameron, fly zone, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, illegal migration, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, libyans, muammar gaddafi, nicolas sarkozy, president nicolas sarkozy, ras lanuf, rebel stronghold, ria novosti, zawiya