Gaddafi loyalists using civilians as human shields to safeguard weapons from airstrikes: NATOApril 6th, 2011 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
Tripoli, Apr 6 (ANI): NATO has accused Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s regime of using civilians as human shields to safeguard their heavy weapons from being targeted by international air strikes in Libya.
CBS News quoted the alliance as saying that Gaddafi’s forces have changed their tactics in the western city of Misrata by moving tanks and other heavy equipment into civilian areas to prevent pilots from targeting them.
NATO has said that the international air forces had to abandon their scheduled strike missions in Misrata, and returned back without dropping their bombs or launching their missiles on Tuesday because the loyalists of the dictator had made it too difficult for pilots to distinguish between civilians and regime troops.
NATO’s claims have been backed by a doctor in the town who said that anti-aircraft guns and tanks have been stationed “between the apartment buildings and the trees.” He further claimed that military equipment is being disguised on the big agricultural trucks that Libyan farmers use, and that mortars are being brought into the city in civilian cars.
Misrata is one of two major cities in western Libya that have risen up against the Libyan government. (ANI)
- US unmanned Predator drones could assassinate Gaddafi: Hague - Apr 25, 2011
- 25 Libyan tanks destroyed Sunday: NATO commander - Apr 10, 2011
- US' first unmanned Predator attack destroys Libyan govt. multiple rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2011
- Gaddafi forces firing cluster bombs into residential neighborhoods in Misrata - Apr 16, 2011
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' : Libyan state TV - Mar 27, 2011
- NATO forces tried to assassinate Gaddafi: Libyan official - Apr 25, 2011
- Gaddafi's troops routed in Libyan oil port battle - Mar 03, 2011
- Gaddafi rules out leaving Libya but ready to negotiate ceasefire with NATO - Apr 30, 2011
- African Union urges US, EU to 'immediately stop' attack on Gaddafi's forces - Mar 20, 2011
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- Libya regime targets British embassy after Gaddafi 'assassination' attempt - May 02, 2011
- Gaddafi forces carry on shelling rebels in Misrata - Apr 04, 2011
- Rebels warns of 'catastrophe' if Libyan forces attack Benghazi city - Mar 13, 2011
- Gaddafi plans to blow up Tripoli if captured - Jul 14, 2011
- Obama, Berlusconi agree to raise pressure on Gaddafi - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: air forces, air strikes, aircraft guns, apartment buildings, cbs news, civilian areas, civilian cars, civilians, colonel muammar gaddafi, dictator, heavy equipment, human shields, libyan government, loyalists, major cities, military equipment, mortars, muammar gaddafi, strike missions, tripoli