G8 leaders stresses boosting growthMay 20th, 2012 - 2:43 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 20 (IANS) Leaders of the Group of Eight (G8) nations have stressed that bolstering economic growth and job creation was critical to the global economic recovery.
“The global economic recovery shows signs of promise, but significant headwinds persist,” the G8 leaders said in a statement on the global economy, adding that “our imperative is to promote growth and jobs”.
“We welcome the ongoing discussion in Europe on how to generate growth, while maintaining a firm commitment to implement fiscal consolidation to be assessed on a structural basis,” said the statement released after the leaders from the major economies discussed the global economic issues at Camp David in Maryland, US.
“We agree on the importance of a strong and cohesive eurozone for global stability and recovery, and we affirm our interest in Greece remaining in the eurozone while respecting its commitments,” Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.
Leaders of Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and the US are attending the two-day summit which began Saturday.
- G8 wants Greece to remain in Eurozone (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to boost global economy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- 4.5 mn jobs at risk in eurozone in four years: UN - Jul 12, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Infrastructure funding key to growth: G20 endorses India's stand (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Unemployment in France goes up - Mar 27, 2012
- G20 business leaders urge stable regulatory framework - Nov 03, 2011
- G20 leaders for talks on global recovery - Jun 27, 2010
- G20 endorses India's concern on infrastructure, austerity - Jun 20, 2012
- G20 pledges to support economic growth, free trade - Jun 20, 2012
- `Asia has ample room to fight eurozone turmoil spillovers' - Jan 31, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to strengthen global economy - Jun 15, 2012
- India to focus on infrastructure-led growth at G20 (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Greece has upset calculations, let it not multiply: Manmohan - Nov 03, 2011
- G8 summit opens in US - May 19, 2012
Tags: camp david, canada france, commitments, economic growth, economic recovery, eurozone, firm commitment, fiscal consolidation, france germany, g8 leaders, g8 nations, global economic issues, global economy, global stability, greece, imperative, job creation, russia, summit, xinhua