G8 endorses Obama’s call for world free of nuclear weaponsJuly 9th, 2009 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
L’Aquila (Italy), July 9 (DPA) The Group of Eight (G8) industrialised nations meeting in Italy endorsed calls by US President Barack Obama for a world without nuclear weapons.
“We are all committed to seeking a safer world for all and to creating the conditions for a world without nuclear weapons, in accordance with the goals of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty,” G8 leaders said in a joint statement Wednesday.
The heads of state and government of Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia and the US welcomed Obama’s recent announcement to seek ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty.
As at the last G8 summit a year ago in Japan, the leaders expressed deep concern at the threat of terrorists acquiring weapons of mass destruction, warning that the proliferation of such weapons and their means of delivery “continues to represent a global challenge and a major threat to international security”.
Obama first spoke of his vision of a nuclear-free world during his first visit to Europe as president in early April.
In separate declarations, G8 leaders condemned North Korea’s latest nuclear tests and urged Iran to cooperate fully with the International Atomic Energy Agency on its nuclear programme.
- G8 concerned over threat of terrorists acquiring WMDs - Jul 09, 2009
- Obama puts combating nuclear terrorism at top of agenda - Apr 07, 2010
- US and Russia agree to new START treaty - Mar 26, 2010
- G8 expresses concerns over North Korea, Iran - May 20, 2012
- `Upcoming n-summit aims for world without nuclear weapons' - Mar 19, 2012
- Obama asks Brazil to press Iran on nukes - Jul 10, 2009
- UN spokesman expresses optimism in U.S. nuclear policy - Apr 07, 2010
- UNSC seat for India not linked with NPT: US - Nov 17, 2010
- President Obama recognizes the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty on its 40th Anniversary - Mar 06, 2010
- Japan backs n-pact with India, warns against tests (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Britain ready to cut warheads if others do it too, says Brown - Jul 10, 2009
- Manmohan to travel to US for nuclear summit next year - Nov 25, 2009
- Japan relents, to start n-deal talks with India (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- India, Japan reaffirm commitment for total elimination of nuke weapons - Oct 26, 2010
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,