Fruit of 10 years’ research stolen as another peachJuly 4th, 2012 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 4 (IANS) While stealing peaches from an agricultural institute, three jobless men may have never thought that they were actually taking away the fruit of decade-long reseach of scientists. For them, it was about just another fruit.
The men stole 15 kg of peaches on which the Zhengzhou Fruit Research Institute had spent over 10 years cultivating. The fruit was worth an estimated 100,000 yuan ($15,700), China Daily reported.
According to Niu Liang, a researcher at the institute that operates in Henan province under the Chinese Academy of Agriculture Sciences, the peaches from the institute’s experimental strains were stolen Monday night.
Niu said the peaches, of nearly 20 varieties, were the brainchild of the institute, which took it over a decade to cultivate.
With the help of his colleagues, Niu managed to catch one of the three suspects in the orchard, the other two escaped.
Li Yonggang, a middle-aged suspect caught by Niu, said: “I really didn’t know that the peaches were so expensive.”
Niu said he never thought the jobless men would take so many peaches.
- Pricey peaches stolen from China laboratory - Jul 25, 2012
- Two held for Chinese journalist's killing - Sep 21, 2011
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Chinese man probed for building underground house - Sep 03, 2010
- Head of Punjab's citrus fruit, agri councils held for fraud - May 24, 2011
- Underage girl forces classmates into prostitution in China - Dec 07, 2011
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- China to build economic zone - Jul 27, 2011
- Himachal violated norms in importing fruit trees: CAG - Apr 12, 2011
- Bankruptcies remain at record level in Spain - Aug 07, 2012
- New Delhi politicos to feast on Bihar fruits - Jun 03, 2011
- 2,000 banana plants hacked in Bangladesh village - Jul 15, 2011
- Chinese airline involved in crash suspends operations - Aug 26, 2010
- 26 killed in China mine blast - Dec 08, 2010
- Boy killed, chopped up, turned into mincemeat - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: agricultural institute, agriculture sciences, beijing, brainchild, china daily, chinese academy, fruit research, jobless men, july 4, middle aged, monday night, niu, orchard, peach, peaches, researcher, strains, yonggang, yuan, zhengzhou