Friend testifies against Indian-American student in webcam spying caseFebruary 28th, 2012 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
New York, Feb 28 (IANS) A friend of Indian American student Dharun Ravi, charged with spying on his gay roommate, has testified she received text messages from Ravi while she was questioned by police about the alleged act.
“I think that he thought we were going to get in trouble, so he wanted to make it seem like it was more of an accident,” Rutgers New Jersey State University student Molly Wei testified in a New Jersey court Monday.
Wei took the witness stand to testify against Ravi, 19, who is accused of activating a webcam to spy on his roommate, Tyler Clementi, 18, just days before Clementi killed himself by jumping off the George Washington Bridge.
Both Wei and Ravi viewed the images on Wei’s computer. Wei, who was originally charged with two counts of invasion of privacy, entered a pre-trial intervention programme that required her to perform 300 hours of community service in exchange for the charges being dropped.
Wei said they watched for “about two seconds” before turning the image off.
Ravi texted her multiple times when she was being interviewed by police about the alleged spying, asking her what exactly she was confessing to investigators, she said.
“Did you tell them we did it on purpose? What did you tell them when they asked why we turned it on? I said we were just messing around with the camera,” Ravi said in messages.
Ravi is charged with witness tampering for the messages he sent to Wei, in addition to invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, and hindering arrest.
Wei responded to Ravi’s messages, saying that she had told investigators “everything” that had happened on Sep 19, 2010, when Ravi came to her dorm room after Clementi asked to have the room to himself for the night.
On cross-examination, Wei said Ravi wanted to peek into the room because Clementi’s date was an older man and did not appear to be a Rutgers student. She told the court that Ravi feared that the man would steal his iPad.
- Mystery man testifies in Dharun Ravi's trial - Mar 03, 2012
- Witness testified against Indian-American to escape charges: Defence - Feb 29, 2012
- Indian American student was 'uncomfortable' with gay roommate - Mar 02, 2012
- Dharun Ravi sent messages to roommate on night of suicide - Mar 08, 2012
- Lawyer wants charges dropped against Indian-American student - Aug 12, 2011
- Indian American student pleads not guilty to hate crime - May 24, 2011
- Indian American student was not homophobic: Defence - Mar 01, 2012
- Jury deliberates in Indian student spying case in US - Mar 15, 2012
- No verdict yet in Indian American student's spycam trial - Mar 16, 2012
- Indian-American student indicted in roommate's suicide - Apr 21, 2011
- Indian-origin student charged with filming roomie's sex act - Sep 30, 2010
- Dharun Ravi called roommate's suicide 'crazy' - Mar 06, 2012
- Indian American student to go on trial for spying on roommate - Feb 24, 2012
- 30-day jail for Indian student Dharun Ravi; no deportation (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Dharun Ravi seeks webcam spy case dismissal - May 02, 2012
Tags: bias, clementi, cross examination, dorm room, gay roommate, george washington, george washington bridge, images, intimidation, invasion of privacy, investigators, ipad, molly, multiple times, older man, peek, rutgers new jersey, rutgers student, text messages, witness stand