Frenchman with no arms and legs prepares to swim English ChannelJune 1st, 2010 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 1 (ANI): Frenchman Philippe Croizon, who lost his limbs in a freak accident, hopes to complete the 22 mile crossing of the English Channel in 24 hours.
If he is successful, the feat will earn him a place in the record books, The Telegraph reports.
Croizon, 42, who is nicknamed “Ironman”, lost his arms and legs in 1994. His limbs had to be amputated after a TV aerial he was trying to fix touched an overhead powerline, sending 20,000 volts of electricity through his body.
Since the accident he has vowed to lead as normal a life as possible and now, inspired by a documentary he watched in hospital, he has set his sights on swimming the Channel, the Daily Mail reports.
Just two years ago he was barely able to swim two lengths of his local swimming pool.
But after an intensive training schedule of 30 hours a week in the pool he has built up enough muscle and stamina to attempt the challenging Channel crossing from Folkestone, Kent, to Cap-Gris-Nez, near Calais.
Croizon will use specially-designed flippers to help him move through the water and will be accompanied by a full medical team. (ANI)
- Limbless Man Philippe Croizon Swims English Channel 10 Hours Early! - Sep 20, 2010
- Limbless Frenchman completes English Channel swim - Sep 19, 2010
- Limbless man swims across English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- Limbless Frenchman Philippe Croizon Swims Across English Channel - Sep 20, 2010
- Limbless French man to swim English Channel next week - Sep 10, 2010
- 42-yr-old Frenchman aiming to become first limbless person to swim the English Channel - Sep 10, 2010
- Limbless man swims between US and Russian Isles - Aug 20, 2012
- France's Quadruple Amputee Philippe Croizon Crosses English Channel - Sep 21, 2010
- French want to ban people from swimming in the Channel - Nov 02, 2010
- Brit teen becomes first person to 'wakeboard' across English Channel - Sep 07, 2010
- Three run over by train, one loses legs - Feb 26, 2012
- Channel Tunnel to get mobile phone coverage - Mar 03, 2012
- French Coastguards Wish to Ban People Swimming the Channel - Nov 03, 2010
- Brit woman becomes slowest person to swim English Channel - Jul 28, 2010
- AIIMS gets notice for not giving amputees artificial limbs - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: arms and legs, cap gris nez, daily mail, documentary, electricity, flippers, folkestone kent, freak accident, frenchman, intensive training, london, medical team, powerline, record books, stamina, swimming pool, swimming the channel, telegraph reports, volts