Frenchman held for smuggling Inca mummyDecember 20th, 2008 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lima, Dec 20 (IANS) Peruvian police have arrested a French national from Lima’s Jorge Chavez International Airport while trying to smuggle out an Inca mummy in his luggage, EFE news agency reported.Two handguns were also found from the belongings of Alain Yban Eyraud, 60, who was arrested last week, the police said.
A case was filed against him Thursday for illegal possession of arms and crimes against the nation’s cultural heritage.
Inca mummies belong to the people of Inca empire that existed between 1438-1532 in western South America. Thousands of mummies were found during archaeological explorations in 1999 and 2000 near Tupac Amaru in Peru, which was named after the last ruler of the Inca empire.
Peru has declared them national treasures and stealing or destroying them is considered a crime.
Eyraud, a jeweller by profession, told police that he bought the mummy for some $10,000 from locals in Lima who assured him he would have no trouble taking it out of the country.
- Mummy found abandoned in Peru's capital - Sep 21, 2011
- Jailed for 15 years, US woman wants to be pastry chef - May 26, 2010
- 15 killed in Peru road accident - Mar 17, 2012
- American terrorist released after 15 years in Peruvian prison - May 28, 2010
- Pre-Inca artefacts seized in Peru - Mar 30, 2010
- Lori Berenson Granted Parole After 15 Years - May 26, 2010
- Chopper goes missing in Peru - Jun 08, 2012
- 17 die in Peru road accident - Apr 02, 2011
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- Items from Machu Picchu return to Peru after nearly a century - Mar 31, 2011
- Three arrested in Peru with fake bills - Jul 04, 2010
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Suge Knight arrested for traffic warrant - Dec 06, 2010
- Yale to return Machu Picchu pieces - Nov 21, 2010
- Juanes to perform in Peru, visit Machu Picchu - Jun 29, 2012