French woman, 78, survives 6 days after falling down Alpine ravineSeptember 7th, 2010 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 7 (ANI): A 78-year-old French woman survived for nearly a week after falling down a ravine on a walk in an Alpine forest before being found.
Michele Riotton, suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, said she remembers having “slipped into a ravine and then falling asleep” while on a walk through a forest after leaving her home in the village of Armoy.
Dressed in a light jacket, she spent six nights out in the open and had nothing to eat the whole time except two biscuits and just rainwater that ran down her face to drink.
She kept herself warm by covering herself with leaves.
“I wasn’t afraid. I thought mostly about the worry I was causing my children and grandchildren,” the Telegraph quoted her as saying.
A two-day search, including a helicopter, had been mounted for Riotton, without success.
However, second search found her lying at the bottom of a steep ravine in a pile of leaves just 700 metres from her home, suffering from bruises on her hands and dehydration.
“We didn’t want to abandon the family, even if it’s true deep inside we held little hope of finding her alive. It is a miracle,” said resident Patrice Frossard, who complained that the search had been called off too soon.
Riotton speaking from her hospital said she had now had enough of forests and wanted to “go to a retirement home”. (ANI)
- Stranded Driver Survives 40C Outback Trek - Jan 05, 2012
- Jessica Simpson's fiance puts her on diet - Feb 16, 2011
- Mom wants to control Rihanna's wild life - May 15, 2012
- Man who raped teenager while asleep walks free - Jul 05, 2011
- Hollywood icon Elizabeth Taylor dead at 79 - Mar 23, 2011
- Labradoodle dog saves owner after ravine fall - Jan 26, 2012
- Jamaican bride dumps British hubby in 20 minutes! - Jul 19, 2011
- Sheila Dikshit stable, to be discharged soon - Dec 07, 2011
- Woman pardons mother who cut off her ears - Dec 28, 2011
- Kim Kardashian's make-up regret - Jun 05, 2012
- Dehydration could turn you cranky and confused - Feb 19, 2012
- Experienced Climber Dies In Fall At Mount Rainier - Jul 29, 2010
- 20 die in Bolivia accident - Jul 23, 2010
- Woman loses chain, dies of shock - Aug 08, 2012
- Mamata enjoys relaxing day at Sundarbans - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: alpine forest, biscuits, bruises, dehydration, forests, french woman, grandchildren, helicopter, little hope, michele, miracle, patrice, pile of leaves, rainwater, retirement home, steep ravine, suffering from, telegraph, whole time, worry