French teenager sets himself on fire at Marseille schoolJanuary 19th, 2011 - 1:03 am ICT by BNO News
PARIS (BNO NEWS) — A French teenager set himself on fire at his school in southeastern France on Tuesday, reports said, but few details were immediately available.
The incident happened at the toilets of a private school in Marseille, the second most populous city in France, according to the BBC which said the 16-year-old boy had doused himself in a flammable liquid before setting himself alight.
It was not immediately clear what prompted the boy to set himself on fire, resulting in severe burns over 70 percent of his body. He was rushed to a local hospital and remains in a serious condition.
Also on Tuesday, a 25-year-old man was killed in the Egyptian port city of Alexandria after failing to find a job as a lawyer. It echoed a similar action on Monday when a 49-year-old man put himself on fire near the Egyptian parliament in downtown Cairo.
The act in Alexandria appeared to be similar to a protest earlier this month in Tunisia, leading to last week’s rebellion that led to Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali’s resignation. There, Mohsen Bouterfif set himself on fire after a meeting with the mayor of Boukhadra in Tebessa who was unable to offer Bouterfif a job and a house.
- Man sets himself on fire near Egyptian parliament - Jan 17, 2011
- Saudi man dies after setting himself on fire - Jan 23, 2011
- Egyptian uprising inspired by Tunisia's upheaval - Feb 12, 2011
- 'Tunisian protests serve as red flag for Arab autocracies' - Jan 16, 2011
- Protests in Yemen seek president's ouster - Feb 03, 2011
- Italian sets himself ablaze after job loss - Aug 20, 2012
- Growing hatred against Tunisian President Ben Ali portrayed in Wikileaks - Jan 16, 2011
- Egyptian protesters clash with police in anti-government protests - Jan 26, 2011
- Troops deployed as protests reach Tunisian capital - Jan 13, 2011
- Tunisian military takes action against Ex-President's aides - Jan 17, 2011
- Two killed as protesters, police clash in Tunisia - Feb 06, 2011
- Tunisian President Ben Ali's departure over massive protests- a "lesson" for Arab leaders - Jan 15, 2011
- French PM admits to New Year's holiday at Mubarak's cost - Feb 09, 2011
- Regional developments present new opportunity: Iran - Feb 15, 2011
- Arab Spring sweeps away despotic regimes (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: bno, cairo, city of alexandria, egyptian parliament, flammable liquid, french teenager, local hospital, marseille, old man, private school, rebellion, resignation, second most populous city, severe burns, southeastern france, tebessa, toilets, tunisian president, zine el abidine, zine el abidine ben ali