French police unions outraged over lunchtime alcohol banApril 22nd, 2011 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
Paris, Apr 22 (ANI): France’s police unions have expressed outrage over an official decree that suggested Compagnies Républicaines de Sécurité, or CRS officers, would no longer be served wine or beer with their meals.
As of now, it has been a tradition to serve a glass of wine or beer to these officers, even while on duty, The Guardian reports.
However, authorities were angered by pictures published on the website in October last year, which showed police drinking beer from cans on the sidelines of a sixth-formers’ street-protest against pension reforms in Perreux-sur-Marne, north of Paris.
The website claimed these uniformed officers telling locals that it was very dangerous to go outside during the high-school demo before stopping for beer on a street.
Paul Le Guennec, of the biggest riot police union, Unité Police SGP-FO, said the French public were not shocked at the notion of a CRS officer drinking at lunch.
“Does the fact that having a glass of wine while eating prevent any kind of worker from carrying out their job? I don’t think the chief of police drinks water when he’s having a meal,” Le Guennec told the paper Le JDD.
The Union insisted that having a small drink with wine is not against the French labour law. (ANI)
- Bunch of unseen Picasso paintings found in France - Nov 30, 2010
- 271 Picasso works found with French couple - Jun 14, 2011
- Cheers! Beer can help you lose weight - Aug 03, 2010
- Frequent tipple halves rheumatoid arthritis risk - Jul 11, 2012
- Cheers! Drinking a pint of beer a day 'is good for your health' - Jan 14, 2011
- Despite problems of matching, India's wine industry booming - Feb 05, 2012
- Beer batter squids, anybody? Or beer cheese soup? (Eating out with IANS) - Dec 14, 2010
- Drinking at home is silent killer for Britons - Nov 02, 2011
- 1 in 6 Brits has sworn off alcohol - Jan 28, 2011
- Students more responsible drinkers than adult workers - Oct 08, 2010
- Middle class professionals 'more likely to binge drink' - Jan 28, 2011
- Drinking almost finished my career: Trott - Jul 17, 2011
- 9 Liquidated In A Spate Of Killings At A Beer Dispenser In Connecticut - Aug 04, 2010
- Drinking a glass of wine daily 'helps ward off dementia' - Feb 20, 2011
- Wine, beer doubles mouth cancer risk - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: alcohol ban, chief of police, crs, drinking beer, french labour, french police, french public, glass of wine, labour law, lunchtime, pension reforms, perreux sur marne, police union, police unions, riot police, sgp fo, sidelines, sixth formers, street protest, uniformed officers