French couple, kid kidnapped by pirates: ReportApril 7th, 2009 - 5:30 am ICT by IANS
Paris, April 7 (DPA) A French couple and their 3-year-old son were among those kidnapped by Somali pirates over the weekend, French television reported Monday.
The family’s sailboat Tanit carrying the family and another couple was seized by pirates in the Indian Ocean, where they had been vacationing aboard the boat and were heading towards the island of Zanzibar despite repeated warning about the dangers of piracy.
The French military had attempted to warn them of pirates, approaching the boat with a helicopter, the family wrote on their blog detailing their adventures.
Since March 16, the family had been sailing without lights as a precaution. “We’re sailing towards al-Mukalla and we are in the middle of the danger zone for pirates … But there is nothing to report,” they wrote.
The couple had also been warned by another couple who had been kidnapped by pirates in the past, but were undeterred. The wife, Chloe, wrote: “The pirates can’t destroy our dream.”
Pirates on Monday seized a British-owned cargo ship and a Taiwanese vessel, adding to the French yacht, a Yemeni tugboat and a German container ship hijacked over the weekend, Kenya-based piracy monitor Ecoterra said.
- Rachel and Paul Chandler set sail again - Sep 11, 2012
- Somalian pirates threaten to kill captive Danish family - Mar 02, 2011
- Two pirates, one hostage killed in French rescue move - Apr 11, 2009
- Pirates hijack boat with four Americans on board - Feb 19, 2011
- Somali pirates seize Thai vessel - Oct 29, 2009
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- British Navy nabs 13 Somali pirates - Jan 14, 2012
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Danish warship frees Pakistani, Iranian hostages - Jan 09, 2012
- Somali pirates hijack U.S.-operated container ship - Dec 11, 2010
- Pirates seize Italian ship off Oman - Apr 21, 2011
- Gurkhas, sonic arms, razor wire protecting cruise passengers from Somali pirates - Apr 18, 2011
- Indian Navy captures 61 Somali pirates - Mar 14, 2011
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- British Navy captures seven pirates in Indian Ocean - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: al mukalla, blog, cargo ship, danger zone, ecoterra, french couple, french military, french television, german container ship, helicopter, indian ocean, paris, piracy, precaution, sailboat, somali pirates, tugboat, yacht