French authorities not to pressurise paparazzi to testify at Di inquestNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:13 am ICT by admin
French authorities had made the decision after expressing concerns about the aggressive nature of cross-examination at the London court, he added.
Some of the paparazzi present on the night of the crash, August 31, 1997, could not be traced, but at least six of those whose whereabouts were known had not been issued with summonses, the court was told.
“I was certainly under the impression, at least until the end of last week, that … the witnesses would, at the very least, be required to come to court,” the Telegraph quoted Lord Justice Baker, as saying.
“But it does appear that there has been a change in position by the French authorities taken at a very high level and it seems to me that we are controlled not by what you may or may not believe to be the position in the French law but what the French are actually prepared to do,” he added.
Under British law, a coroner has no powers to coerce foreign witnesses to give evidence but Baker said he had been advised that once the French authorities had received a request, witnesses could be obliged to testify.
However he said, “That’s not going to happen.”
He said the decision appeared to have been a “political” one taken within the office of a French government minister.
Diana, her lover Dodi Fayed and their chauffeur Henri Paul were all killed in the crash in the Pont de l’Alma tunnel as they tried to escape photographers pursuing them from the Ritz hotel in central Paris. (ANI)
- Letter on Di's fears of being killed withheld by senior police officers - Sep 26, 2009
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Chauffeur behind Princess Di's death was 'framed as a drunk driver' - May 20, 2010
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- Kate Middleton being hounded by paparazzi like Di was in her last days - Nov 19, 2008
- Frenchman who 'heard Diana's dying words' exposed as a common thief - Nov 02, 2010
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Princess Di's driver's blood test 'wasn't verified' - Aug 09, 2010
- Lady Gaga has an acute fear of dying - Dec 12, 2011
- Gaga fears dying like Lady Diana - Dec 08, 2011
- New book tells story if Diana had not died in car crash - Jan 06, 2011
- Di inquest thrown into chaos over paparazzi's refusal to testify - Nov 14, 2007
- UK Crown Prosecution slaps tainted Pak trio with "corruption and cheating charges" - Feb 04, 2011
- Princess Diana's family to sell items for auction - Mar 31, 2010
Tags: aggressive nature, central paris, coerce, coroner, crash, dodi fayed, evidence, french authorities, government minister, justice baker, level decision, london court, lord justice, obliged, paparazzi, photographers, ritz hotel, scott baker