Freelance journalist sues Huffington Post for unpaid blog useApril 13th, 2011 - 8:28 am ICT by ANI
New York, Apr. 13 (ANI): A freelance journalist has sued The Huffington Post for not paying bloggers for the value they created for the website, which America On Line (AOL) bought for 315 million dollars.
Jonathan Tasini, the lead plaintiff in the suit filed with a US District Court in New York, is demanding at least 105 million dollars in damages for The Huffington Post’s uncompensated writers and other content providers, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Tasini is seeking to have the suit accepted as a class action representing more than 9,000 writers and others who contributed material to The Huffington Post for free since it was launched six years ago.
The complaint has been lodged against Huffington Post co-founders Arianna Huffington and Kenneth Lerer, along with new owner AOL. It accuses The Huffington Post of deceptive trade practices and unjust enrichment.
Huffington Post spokesman Mario Ruiz dismissed the lawsuit as “wholly without merit.”
The Newspaper Guild, a union of US media workers with 26,000 members, urged Huffington Post contributors last month to stop providing free content to the news and opinion website.
The Huffington Post has attracted a strong following — nearly 25 million unique visitors a month — to its lively mix of news, entertainment, opinion and blogs submitted by academics, entertainment figures, politicians and others. (ANI)
- AOL buys Huffington Post for 315 million dollars - Feb 07, 2011
- Huffington Post sued by unpaid bloggers - Apr 13, 2011
- Arianna Huffington's AOL deal sparks accusations of political sell-out - Feb 27, 2011
- Twitter co-founder to join news website Huffington Post - Mar 16, 2011
- MediaGuru partners with the Guardian for tech summit - May 04, 2012
- Huffington Post to enter Canada - Apr 15, 2011
- Huffington Post launches Spanish-language edition - Jun 08, 2012
- Finance firm slaps MJ's estate with $1.2M suit - Oct 02, 2010
- 'Yahoo! is not buying The Huffington Post' - Jun 09, 2010
- Censoring social media curbs free speech, say netizens - Jan 16, 2012
- Car battery firm sues maker of sexual enhancement spray over branding - Apr 16, 2011
- Kutcher, Moore launch celebrity video campaign to address sex trafficking - Apr 12, 2011
- Baldwin slaps suit on Costner over BP oil spill share scam - Dec 24, 2010
- Case filed with ulterior motive, says Facebook - Feb 28, 2012
- Ex-US President Carter sued for five million dollars over falsehoods in 'Palestine' book - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,