Freed UN official flown to USApril 5th, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 5 (IANS) UN official John Solecki, who was freed in Pakistan after more than two months of captivity, was sent to the US in a special army plane Sunday, an official said.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) spokesman in Balochistan Dunya Aslam told Geo News that Solecki, who was released Saturday, was on his way back home.
His kidnappers said they had released Solecki, 49, chief of the UNHCR in Balochistan, on humanitarian grounds.
The UN official was kidnapped when he was on his way to his office in Quetta, the capital of southwestern Balochistan province. His driver was killed by the kidnappers.
A hitherto unknown group called Balochistan Liberation United Front (BLUF) claimed responsibility for the abduction.
BLUF had demanded the release of prisoners it said were being held by the government.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, speaking during a visit to France, thanked Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Afghanistan’s President Hamid Karzai and other people who had worked for Solecki’s release.
“I am very happy and at the same time I would like to share this moment with his family and his colleagues in the United Nations,” he said.
–Indo-Asian News Agency
- Abducted UN official released in Pakistan - Apr 04, 2009
- Pak accepts abductors demand for UN officials safe return - Mar 06, 2009
- Pakistan's senate committee appeals for release of kidnapped UN official - Mar 05, 2009
- UN relieved over Solecki's safe return by kidnappers in Pak - Apr 05, 2009
- Pakistani kidnappers set four-day deadline to kill UN official - Mar 02, 2009
- UN in direct contact with Soleckis abductors to ensure his safe return - Feb 15, 2009
- Pakistan's help sought as deadline for UN hostage nears - Mar 05, 2009
- Foreign agencies to look for missing UN official in Pakistan - Feb 18, 2009
- UN officials mother appeals for sons early, safe return - Feb 22, 2009
- BLUF sets 48-hour deadline for Solecki''s release - Mar 17, 2009
- Captors set new deadline for UN hostage in Pakistan - Mar 02, 2009
- Fate of UN hostage in Pakistan hangs in balance - Feb 14, 2009
- Terrorist outfit says abducted UNHCR official Solecki is alive - Feb 23, 2009
- UN seeks contact with Soleckis abductors through trusted intermediary - Feb 21, 2009
- UN expresses concern over abducted Solecki''s health - Mar 19, 2009
Tags: abduction, army plane, asian news, asif ali zardari, aslam, ban ki moon, bluf, captivity, dg, geo news, hamid karzai, humanitarian grounds, kidnappers, news agency, president hamid karzai, solecki, un secretary general, united front, united nations high commissioner, united nations high commissioner for refugees