Freed Swiss Red Cross hostage leaves for SwitzerlandApril 21st, 2009 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, April 21 (DPA) Former Swiss Red Cross hostage Andreas Notter headed home Tuesday, four days after he walked free from Muslim militants who held him captive for more than three months on a southern Philippine island.
Notter, 38, left for Hong Kong where he would take a connecting flight to Geneva, bringing along a cane and a coconut shell as reminders from his captivity on Jolo island, 1,000 km south of Manila.
The Red Cross staffer was abducted by Abu Sayyaf rebels Jan 15 in Jolo with two other International Committee of the Red Cross personnel, Filipino Mary Jean Lacaba and Italian Eugenio Vagni.
Lacaba was released April 2, while Notter was freed April 17. Only Vagni remains in the hands of the Al Qaeda-linked guerrillas in the jungles of Jolo.
Notter said the cane was made by the guerrillas to help him walk in thickly forested jungles, while he ate out of the coconut shell during his captivity.
After his release, Notter expressed concern over the condition of 62-year-old Vagni who was reported to suffer from a hernia injury and needs immediate medical attention.
The Abu Sayyaf rebels have been blamed for some of the worst terrorist attacks and high-profile kidnappings in the Philippines.
They have beheaded hostages, including an American tourist abducted in 2001, when authorities failed to meet their demands.
- Philippine rebels free Red Cross worker after 25 weeks - Jul 12, 2009
- Emergency declared as beheading deadline up in Philippines - Mar 31, 2009
- Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clash - Jun 11, 2009
- Kidnappers demand $5 mn for kidnapped Red Cross staff - Jan 18, 2009
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Philippines claims major victory over militant group - Feb 22, 2010
- Militants free kidnapped TV crew in Philippines - Jun 18, 2008
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Islamic militants release two captive soldiers in Philippines - Jun 13, 2008
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Three killed in Philippines ambush - Apr 06, 2009
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: abducted, abu sayyaf rebels, american tourist, beheaded hostages, captivity, coconut shell, connecting flight, dpa, guerrillas, hostage, international committee, jolo island, jungles, kidnappings, lacaba, medical attention, muslim militants, notter, reminders, staffer