Francis Bacons Man In Blue portrait may fetch PS6MJanuary 15th, 2009 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 15 (ANI): Late painter Francis Bacons portrait Man In Blue is expected to fetch 6 million pounds at an auction.
Man in Blue VI is special as it is one of seven major paintings that Bacon produced in the spring of 1954 and has been held by the same owner since November 1971.
Francis painted it while he was in the middle of a violent relationship with Peter Lacy, a former Spitfire pilot, reports Timesonline.
After his spat with Peter, Bacon left the cottage they shared and checked into a hotel, where he painted the Man in Blue series.
It is a popular notion that they were done from life, with the sitter being an unknown man whom Francis had met at the hotel.
Man in Blue VI is one of Francis unique creations, which has been exhibited internationally and was also included in the artists retrospective at the Tate Gallery in 1962.
The painting will be auctioned at the PostWar and Contemporary Art auction at Christies in London on February 11. (ANI)
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Christie's eyes world record with Rembrandt - Dec 05, 2009
- Yusuf Arakkal: Portrait of artist and his haunting, taunting faces - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian painter to showcase work in Oman - Apr 04, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- Souza's archival works yield windfall for Christie's - Jun 10, 2010
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Asian buyers start appearing on Christie's radar - Nov 16, 2010
- American painter Cy Twombly dies - Jul 06, 2011
- US gallery pays $4.6 mn at auction for Velazquez piece - Dec 08, 2011
- Clean-up at NY's Met uncovers 'portrait by Spanish master Velázquez' - Sep 11, 2009
- M.F. Husain 'Through The Eyes Of A Painter' (Chronology) - Jun 09, 2011
- "Playboy" To Auction Its Art Collection In December - Nov 09, 2010
- Family, friends recall Husain, colossus of Indian art - Sep 17, 2011
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: 6 million, art auction, bacons, christies, contemporary art, london jan, notion, painting, paintings, peter bacon, retrospective, spat, spitfire pilot, tate gallery, unique creations, unknown man, violent relationship