France’s Mauresmo opts out of Beijing OlympicJuly 3rd, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, July 3 (DPA) Former French Wimbledon winner Amelie Mauresmo has opted to join compatriot Richard Gasquet and American Andy Roddick as a high-profile defector from the Olympic tennis event. Mauresmo told her website Thursday that she - like Roddick and Gasquet - would not make the trip to Beijing in order to prepare for the US Open, which begins only a few days after the Beijing tennis final.
“As I was not picked to play singles and because I need to prevent further physical problems, I’ve decided not to take part in the Olympics. I will concentrate on preparing for the US Open,” the 28-year-old said.
The French team will also be missing 2006 Wimbledon finalist Marion Bartoli, who is ineligible for the event under international rules. Mary Pierce, who has not played in two years after an ankle injury, is expected to withdraw from her special exempt place.
Swiss-based Mauresmo was to have only played doubles at the August 8-24 Games, making her trip not worth the trouble in her eyes.
Mauresmo, who once stood number one, has been struggling with injuries, losing in the second round of the French Open and going out to Serena Williams in the Wimbledon third round.
Seven of the top ten women will compete in Beijing with only Anna Chakvetadze of Russia declining in addition to Bartoli.
On the men’s side, all five of the top men will compete, with only Roddick and Gasquet out.
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Li Na becomes first Chinese to qualify for WTA Championships - Oct 06, 2011
- Roddick to take on Djokovic at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012
- Nadal makes winning return to Grand Slam stage - Sep 03, 2009
- Former Wimbledon champ Amelie Mauresmo retires - Dec 03, 2009
- China Open: Wozniacki, Zvonareva move ahead; Stosur eliminated - Oct 04, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- China's Zheng tags herself 'lightweight tennis champion' - Jul 01, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova, Del Potro cruise; Soderling, Williams pull out - Sep 01, 2011
- Federer sets up Hewitt meeting, Nadal gains winning confidence (Lead) - Sep 03, 2009
- Roddick advances to Wimbledon third round - Jun 23, 2010
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- German No.1 Petkovic to miss French Open, Wimbledon - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: amelie mauresmo, andy roddick, ankle injury, anna chakvetadze, august 8, beijing, compatriot, defector, dpa, french open, french team, geneva, marion bartoli, mary pierce, olympic tennis event, olympics, richard gasquet, serena williams, wimbledon, wimbledon finalist