France wins tender to build warships for RussiaDecember 25th, 2010 - 3:10 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev told his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy over the phone that France has won a tender to build amphibious assault ships for Russia.The winner is a consortium comprised of French DCNS and Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC), the Kremlin press service said.
At the initial stage, two Mistral-class helicopter carriers will be built jointly by France and Russia with another two to be constructed later in Russia.
Russia will carry out 20 percent of the construction work at the STX shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France, USC spokesman Igor Ryabov said.
“Subsequently the share of the project’s localization in Russia will increase,” he said.
Russia has been in talks with France on the purchase of Mistral-class warships on a 2+2 scheme whereby Russia will buy one or two French-built Mistrals and build another two under license at home.
A Mistral-class ship is capable of transporting and deploying 16 helicopters, four landing vessels, up to 70 armored vehicles, including 13 battle tanks and 450 personnel.
The Russian military has said it plans to use Mistral ships in its Northern and Pacific fleets.
Many Russian military and industry experts have questioned the financial and military sense of the purchase, and some believe that Russia simply wants to gain access to advanced naval technology that could be used in the future in potential conflicts with NATO and its allies.
- Medvedev sacks navy vice admiral - Apr 19, 2011
- France preparing first warship for Russia - Dec 01, 2011
- France, Russia to sign warship deal before Putin's June visit - May 27, 2011
- Putin backs importing foreign military technology - Jul 03, 2012
- Latvia worried by Russian plan to buy French warship - Dec 10, 2009
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- DCNS, Pipavav to address India's naval needs - Jun 11, 2012
- Russian warships to exercise in Atlantic, Mediterranean - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian warships to patrol Syrian coast - Apr 14, 2012
- Russia to sell off 18 fighter planes that India rejected - May 16, 2012
- NATO strikes on Libya amount to land operation: Moscow - Jun 04, 2011
- Russian firefighting plane to help Serbia - Aug 26, 2012
- No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia - Jul 14, 2012
- Refurbished aircraft carrier for India begins sea trials - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: amphibious assault ships, armored vehicles, battle tanks, class ship, dcns, dmitry medvedev, french counterpart, initial stage, military sense, mistral class, mistrals, naval technology, nicolas sarkozy, ria novosti, russia moscow, russia russia, russian military, saint nazaire, snb, warships