France urges new Syria sanctionsJune 14th, 2012 - 7:53 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France will ask the US and its European Union partners to impose new sanctions against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, French Foreign Minister Lorain Fabius said.
“We want to step up pressure on the Damascus regime by intensifying sanctions, which means that I will speak without delay to my European and American colleagues and propose that foreign ministers adopt a new series of sanctions at their next meeting,” Fabius said.
“They should apply not only to Bashar al-Assad and his clique but also to military commanders.”
At present, dozens of officials and organisations associated with Assad are under EU sanctions that include the freezing of assets and denial of visas.
The UN says at least 12,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising against the rule of Assad began in March 2011.
- France offers communications gear to Syrian opposition - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Top Syrian military defector contacts opposition - Jul 13, 2012
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Syria releases over 900 protesters - Dec 01, 2011
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia, China must pay for supporting Assad: Clinton - Jul 06, 2012
- Syrian president ready for constitutional referendum - Feb 08, 2012
- Syria's Assad not ready to stand down - Jul 20, 2012
- UN Syria resolution unacceptable: Russia - Jul 13, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: american colleagues, assets, bashar al assad, damascus, denial, dozens, european union, fabius, foreign ministers, french foreign minister, june 14, military commanders, organisations, paris, president bashar, regime, ria novosti, syria, syrian president bashar al, uprising