France to withdraw troops from Afghanistan in 2013January 28th, 2012 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Jan 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France plans to withdraw its military contingent from Afghanistan in 2013, French President Nicholas Sarkozy has said.
“We have decided in a common accord with President Karzai to ask NATO to consider a total handing of NATO combat missions to the Afghan army over the course of 2013,” Sarkozy told reporters here Friday at a joint news conference with his Afghan counterpart.
The date is one year ahead of US schedule of total troop withdrawal for France, the fourth-largest contributor of troops in Afghanistan.
France said it suspends combat support and training of Afghan troops and warned about possible early withdrawal of its personnel from the Central Asian state after a man wearing Afghan military uniform killed four French servicemen Jan 20.
“The French military will resume their operations starting from Saturday,” Sarkozy said.
By late 2012, a quarter of France’s 4,000-strong contingent will be withdrawn. France is the fourth-largest contributor of troops in Afghanistan.
- France halts military training in Afghanistan - Jan 21, 2012
- US to end Afghan combat operations in 2013 - Feb 03, 2012
- Obama announces US troop pullout from Afghanistan - Jun 23, 2011
- Afghan force to protect NATO bases - Aug 24, 2012
- No pact with US until night raids end: Karzai - Feb 20, 2012
- Russia concerned over US plans to keep Afghan bases - Apr 20, 2012
- Cameron warns Taliban against destabilising Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- US hails Russia's contribution to Afghan mission - Jun 19, 2012
- Two US soldiers killed by Afghan cop - Aug 18, 2012
- Spanish troops to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014 - Jun 25, 2011
- France suspends operations in Afghanistan after Afghan soldier kills 4 troops - Jan 21, 2012
- Russia will continue to back NATO mission: Putin - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia not to allocate $10 mn for Afghan army - May 25, 2012
- Sarkozy to visit Libya for talks with opposition - May 27, 2011
- 3,000 Afghans protest long-term US deal - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: army, asian state, combat missions, contingent, contributor, counterpart, french military, french president, jan 28, military uniform, nato, news conference, nicholas sarkozy, paris, president karzai, ria novosti, troop withdrawal, troops in afghanistan