France to expel 35,000 illegal migrantsJanuary 11th, 2012 - 4:52 am ICT by IANS
Paris, Jan 11 (IANS) France will expel 35,000 illegal migrants from the country this year, French Interior Minister Claude Gueant said Tuesday.
He was unveiling a government plan aimed at sending back illegal migrants to their respective countries.
“In 2011, 32,922 illegal migrants were expelled. It’s the most high figure never reached,” the minister said.
In 2012, the figure “will be higher at 35,000 expulsions”, he added.
Gueant also plans to cut the quota for legal migration by 10 percent per year to 180,000 migrants, to return to the level recorded in the mid-90s at 150,000, Xinhua reported.
According to the High Council for Integration, 11.5 million illegal migrants currently live in France, representing 19 percent of the country’s 65 million population. Nearly 180,000 people arrive in France each year.
Many Africans try to reach Europe via Italy, Spain or Malta, which they see as their preferred entry point into Europe.
They set sail in small and rickety boats seeking for better life, but unfortunately many lose their lives in the sea before reaching their land of dreams.
- Former IMF chief can spend term in France if convicted - May 23, 2011
- Sarkozy says he will trim migrants quota - Mar 07, 2012
- Migration to Britain to fall in 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Russia leads world in illegal migration - Jun 29, 2012
- Somali Olympic sprinter dies at sea - Aug 21, 2012
- Three killed in French school shooting (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Migrants causing birth ratio problem in Shanghai - Jun 30, 2012
- Dominican Republic shipwreck toll rises to 16 - Feb 06, 2012
- Arbitrary surveillance of Roma in Europe - Oct 31, 2010
- Quake drives decade-high emigration from New Zealand - Nov 22, 2011
- Hindus & Jews want sanctions against France on Roma maltreatment - Aug 27, 2010
- Hindus and Jews Want Sanctions Against France - Aug 27, 2010
- France rejects EU criticism on Roma expulsions - Sep 15, 2010
- Britain to have database to track down illegal migrants - Aug 22, 2012
- Four die in shooting outside school in France (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: 5 million, africans, better life, europe, french interior minister, government plan, illegal migrants, italy, land of dreams, malta, mid 90s, migration, paris, population, preferred entry point, quota, rickety boats, s 65, spain, xinhua