France, Russia to sign warship deal before Putin’s June visitMay 27th, 2011 - 8:31 am ICT by IANS
Deauville (France), May 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France and Russia should sign a contract on four Mistral class helicopter carriers for Russia before June 21, when Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is to visit France, President Nicolas Sarkozy said Thursday.
A Mistral-class ship is capable of carrying 16 helicopters, four landing vessels, 70 armoured vehicles, and 450 personnel.
“We have agreed everything with President Medvedev - the price, the timeframe, the transfer of technology, and the construction site,” Sarkozy said.
“Contract negotiations are over; it only remains to decide when this contract will be signed: The deadline is June 21 because this is when Prime Minister Putin will come to Paris.”
Medvedev and Sarkozy agreed earlier Thursday that a contract will be signed within 15 days.
“We have reached a final agreement that this contract will be signed in 15 days. Two helicopter carriers will be built in France and two more in Russia,” Sarkozy said after talks with Medvedev.
Russia and France in January signed an intergovernmental agreement to build two Mistral-class helicopter carriers at the STX shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. Another two are planned to be constructed later at Admiralty Shipyards in St. Petersburg.
However, contract talks stumbled over Russia’s demand for the transfer of sensitive electronic systems.
Mistral ships are equipped with a NATO-standard SENIT-9 naval tactical data system and SIC-21 fleet command system.
It is not clear yet whether France has agreed to include the technology in the deal.
France has two Mistral class amphibious assault ships in service and is building a third one.
- France wins tender to build warships for Russia - Dec 25, 2010
- Medvedev sacks navy vice admiral - Apr 19, 2011
- France preparing first warship for Russia - Dec 01, 2011
- Putin backs importing foreign military technology - Jul 03, 2012
- US, France, Britain want Russia to mediate in Libya: Kremlin - May 27, 2011
- Russia completes final trials of Indian frigate - Feb 08, 2012
- Gaddafi must step down: Medvedev - May 27, 2011
- Putin attends n-submarine ceremony - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery - Jul 02, 2011
- Putin vows to continue liberal reforms in Russia - Mar 04, 2012
- Iran making progress on indigenous missile - Apr 18, 2012
- Russia disagrees with G8 on internet development: Medvedev - May 28, 2011
- Russia, US may not agree on missile defence in Obama's tenure: US envoy - May 28, 2011
- Refurbished aircraft carrier for India begins sea trials - Jun 08, 2012
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: amphibious assault ships, armoured vehicles, class ship, contract negotiations, contract talks, deauville france, fleet command, france president, intergovernmental agreement, medvedev, mistral, nicolas sarkozy, president nicolas sarkozy, prime minister putin, ria novosti, saint nazaire, senit, sensitive electronic systems, shipyards, vladimir putin