France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as governmentAugust 28th, 2012 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Paris, Aug 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) French President Francois Hollande has called on the Syrian opposition to establish a provisional government and says that France is ready to recognise it.
“France calls on the Syrian opposition to establish a provisional government that may become a legitimate representative of new Syria. France will recognise the government of a new Syria once it is established,” said Hollande at an annual conference of France’s ambassadors.
France “is helping those who are establishing liberated zones in Syria. We are working on an initiative proposed by Turkey on creating buffer zones”, he said.
Hollande believes that President Bashar al-Assad’s regime may resort to chemical weapons.
“We remain vigilant to prevent the use by the (Syrian) regime of chemical weapons, which would be for the international community legitimate grounds for direct intervention.”
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups.
The West is pushing for Assad’s ouster, while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria, saying the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Syrian crisis should not have military solution: UN chief - Sep 21, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria - Aug 21, 2012
- Top Syrian military defector contacts opposition - Jul 13, 2012
- Syria's use of chemical weapons unacceptable: Pentagon - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia reminds Syria of 1925 chemical weapons ban - Jul 25, 2012
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- Moscow calls for political pressure on Syria to end violence - Jun 22, 2011
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- France offers communications gear to Syrian opposition - Jun 16, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: ambassadors, bashar al assad, bloodshed, buffer zones, chemical weapons, conflict, estimates, francois hollande, french president, initiative, interference, legitimate grounds, opposition groups, ouster, president bashar, provisional government, ria novosti, syria, syrian opposition, syrian regime