France offers communications gear to Syrian oppositionJune 16th, 2012 - 11:03 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France is ready to supply communications equipment to the Syrian opposition and to individuals and is ready to make the shipments on its own, the French foreign ministry spokesman said.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said France could follow the example of the US and deliver communications gear, not weapons, to the opposition in Syria.
The outside world needs “eyewitness reports” about what is happening in Syria, said foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero.
France plans to discuss the initiative with its European colleagues and Kofi Annan, but does not rule out providing the equipment on its own.
Paris still needs to decide where exactly it will deliver the equipment, whether to the Syrian National Council, opposition leaders or representatives of civil society, he said.
More than 12,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began in March 2011, according to UN data.
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Top Syrian military defector contacts opposition - Jul 13, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- No impunity for Al-Assad : France - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, bernard valero, communications equipment, european colleagues, eyewitness reports, foreign ministry spokesman, french foreign minister, french foreign ministry, initiative, kofi annan, laurent fabius, opposition leaders, paris, president bashar, ria novosti, syria, syrian opposition, uprising, valero, weapons