France, Italy in run to host Euro 2016March 11th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Nyon (Switzerland), March 11 (DPA) France and Italy will be battling to stage football’s European Championships in 2016, UEFA has confirmed.
Europe’s governing body has also received proposals from Turkey and a joint bid from Sweden and Norway.
UEFA Tuesday said the candidates will have to submit bid dossiers by February 2010. UEFA officials will then visit the bidding countries to evaluate their plans.
Its executive committee will make a final decision May 27, 2010.
It is a second successive attempt by Italy to host the European Championships after losing out to Poland and Ukraine in their successful joint bid for Euro 2012.
Italy were hosts in 1968 and 1980, while France hosted the first championships in 1960 and were again hosts in 1984. Sweden, meanwhile, were the 1992 hosts.
UEFA is expanding the 2016 tournament from 16 to 24 teams.
Monday was the deadline for associations to signal their interest in hosting the tournament.
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- France chosen to host Euro 2016 - May 28, 2010
- Italy to join race to host Euro 2016 - Mar 04, 2009
- England play Norway, Belgium before Euro 2012 games - Jan 06, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Golden Boot winners at Euros - Jul 02, 2012
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
- France confirms intention to bid for Euro 2016 - Feb 14, 2009
- UEFA Committee approves EURO 2012 match list - Oct 04, 2010
- Wales and Scotland abandon Euro 2016 bid, Italy considers bid - Mar 03, 2009
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- Poland, Greece to kick-off Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group D Preview: Injury-hit England leave race wide open - Jun 05, 2012
- Ukraine goalkeeper crisis deepens ahead of Euro 2012 - May 03, 2012
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: dpa, euro 2012, euro 2016, europe, executive committee, final decision, governing body, hosts, italy, march 11, norway, nyon switzerland, poland, proposals, sweden, switzerland march, turkey, uefa, ukraine