Four tourists, guide killed in Yemen blastMarch 16th, 2009 - 3:33 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), March 16 (DPA) Four South Korean tourists and a Yemeni tour guide were killed when a bomb went off near a historical site in southeast Yemen Sunday, police and medics said.
Police officials told DPA that four other Koreans and three Yemenis were injured in the explosion that occurred on a mountain overlooking the historical city of Shibam in the Hadhramout province.
They said the bomb went off as a three-car convoy carrying nine Korean tourists drove on a rugged road leading to the Mountain Suhail near Shibam, around 900 km from the capital Sana’a.
They said the nature of the blast was still being investigated.
Hadhramout is one of the strongholds for Al Qaeda in Yemen, and was the scene of a shooting attack on a Belgian tourist convoy in January 2008, in which two female Belgian tourists and three Yemeni drivers were killed.
Meanwhile, the Yemeni Interior Ministry announced on Sunday that a Saudi Arabian man on a Saudi government list of 85 wanted militants was arrested in the southern Yemeni province of Taiz.
The ministry said in a statement that “Police forces managed to capture the terrorist Abdullah Abdul-Rahman Muhammad al-Harbi, a Saudi national and a member of the Al Qaeda organization.”
The Saudi government released the list last month. Al-Harbi’s name was also on a list of 116 Yemeni and suspected foreign militants issued by the Yemeni police last week, the statement said.
It said al-Harbi was “one of the dangerous Al Qaeda members.”
The ministry said the arrest was made in “a sting operation in the al-Mudhaffar district of the Taiz province,” some 250 km south of Sana’a.
Separately, the ministry said a leading Yemeni member of al-Qaeda, identified as al-Khadhir al-Jadib, had surrendered to police in the southern province of Abyan.
- Al Qaeda leader surrenders in Yemen - Jun 07, 2010
- South Korean convoy in Yemen escapes suicide bomber - Mar 18, 2009
- Yemen extradites five suspected terrorists to Saudi Arabia - Mar 29, 2009
- 400 demonstrators injured in Yemen clashes - Apr 05, 2011
- Al Qaeda kills six cops in Yemen - May 14, 2011
- British envoy escapes unhurt in Yemeni suicide bombing - Apr 27, 2010
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Yemen captures 3 Al Qaeda militants - Jan 16, 2010
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- 20 Al Qaeda terrorists killed in Yemen - May 26, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
Tags: al harbi, al qaeda, bomb, convoy, explosion, interior ministry, koreans, medics, muhammad, police forces, police officials, rugged road, saudi arabian, saudi government, shibam, south korean tourists, southern province, sting operation, strongholds