Four Russian warships set to leave for ChinaApril 15th, 2012 - 9:22 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Four Russian warships from the Pacific Fleet, as well as support vessels, warplanes, helicopters and naval infantry, will leave the country’s Vladivostok city Sunday for a joint exercise with Chinese naval forces, said a spokesman for the fleet.
The Russian Navy will be represented by the guided missile cruiser Varyag, and three large antisubmarine ships in an exercise that is to take place between April 22 and 29 in the Yellow Sea, the name given to the northern part of East China Sea. It is located between mainland China and the Korean Peninsula.
“Three antisubmarine vessels and the Varyag will leave the port of Valdivostok today for the exercise. They are expected to be in China on April 22,” the spokesman said.
In all, over 20 Russian and Chinese warships and support vessels will participate.
Since 2005, China and Russia have conducted several joint military exercises within the framework of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.
The group also includes the Central Asian countries of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. It aims to promote regional cooperation and check US influence.
- Russia, China to conduct military drill - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin - Oct 13, 2011
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Russia, China complete first stage of naval drills - Apr 25, 2012
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- North Korean navy official visits Russia - Oct 20, 2011
- Russian missile cruiser visits Canada - Nov 09, 2011
- Russia, Norway to begin naval drills - May 11, 2011
- Russia, US to hold anti-terror drill - Oct 04, 2011
- China, Russia to hold joint naval drill - Apr 18, 2012
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan hold anti-terror drills - May 08, 2011
Tags: asian countries, east china sea, guided missile cruiser, helicopters, korean peninsula, kyrgyzstan, mainland china, military exercises, naval infantry, pacific fleet, regional cooperation, ria novosti, russian navy, russian warships, shanghai cooperation organisation, spokesman, support vessels, varyag, vladivostok city, yellow sea