Four militants killed, 10 detained in AfghanistanMay 27th, 2009 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 27 (Xinhua) Five Taliban militants were killed and 10 others arrested in special operations by Afghan and US-led coalition forces in southwestern Afghanistan, a military statement said.
In the first operation, the combined forces raided a building in a village in Logar province to capture a Haqqani group commander responsible for planning improvised explosive device attacks and facilitating suicide bombers, the statement said.
“In one building, joint forces encountered men who were barricaded and armed. The subsequent engagement resulted in four militants killed,” it said. “Forces detained five suspects without further incident.”
In another operation in Khost city, capital of Khost province, the combined forces searched a neighbourhood to capture insurgents associated with Al Qaeda, according to the statement.
“Afghan forces led the search of a building with the cooperation of the residents, and without incident, detained five suspected militants,” it said. “Forces found and removed two grenades in the building, preventing their use against civilians or security forces.”
Conflicts and violence have claimed over 5,000 people in 2008 in the war-plagued country. Taliban militants have also vowed to speed up attacks against Afghan and international troops.
- Five militants killed, 22 held in Afghanistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Senior Haqqani leader captured in Afghanistan: NATO - Oct 01, 2011
- Afghan police kill 17 Taliban militants - Jul 31, 2012
- Troops kill Taliban commander with close ties to senior Al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan - Jun 06, 2010
- Haqqani Network facilitator and several insurgents captured in Afghanistan - Sep 13, 2010
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Three Taliban killed, 29 held in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2011
- Taliban cell leader and other suspected insurgents captured throughout Afghanistan - Jul 25, 2010
- 42 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Jun 17, 2012
- NATO-led air strike kills senior Haqqani leader in eastern Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2011
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- 22 Taliban insurgents killed - Oct 17, 2011
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: afghan, afghanistan kabul, al qaeda, civilians, coalition forces, conflicts, cooperation, explosive device, grenades, group commander, insurgents, international troops, khost, militants, neighbourhood, security forces, special operations, suicide bombers, taliban, xinhua