Four killed as plane crash lands in Honduras(Lead)May 31st, 2008 - 11:11 am ICT by admin
Tegucigalpa (Honduras), May 31 (IANS) Four people were killed and 60 injured when an airliner ran off the runway after landing at Tegucigalpa’s Toncontin International Airport, Spain’s EFE news agency reported. The accident happened a little before 10 a.m. Friday (1600 GMT), when the airliner operated by San Salvador-based TACA airlines burst through the barrier at the end of the runway and plowed into a busy street, destroying at least two cars and breaking into three sections.
Among the dead was Harry Brautigam, president of the Central American Bank for Economic Integration and the plane’s pilot, sources at the coroner’s office said.
The injured passengers were being treated at four different hospitals in the Honduran capital.
TACA airlines has not provided an official passenger list, but the carrier’s manager in Honduras, Armando Fuentes, told EFE that the Airbus A-320 was carrying 147 people, including a crew of five.
Firefighters prevented the plane from bursting into flames and helped passengers come out from the wreckage.
Neither the TACA airlines nor Honduran civil aviation authorities offered any information on the possible cause of the accident.
- 5 dead, 65 injured in plane crash in Honduras - Jun 01, 2008
- Drug-laden plane crashes in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- Two killed in plane crash in Honduras - May 31, 2008
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
- One killed as drug plane makes forced landing in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Two killed in Honduras anti-coup rally (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- TV personality slain in Honduras - Apr 24, 2012
- Drug smugglers' plane kills motorcyclist in Honduras - Dec 07, 2009
- 14 killed in Honduras plane crash - Feb 15, 2011
- Journalist Luiz Marina Paz Shot Dead By Motorbike Gunmen - Dec 07, 2011
- Dead tiger to be stuffed, put on display at Honduran zoo - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: airbus a 320, airliner, airport spain, armando, busy street, civil aviation authorities, coroner, crash lands, economic integration, efe news agency, firefighters, honduran capital, passenger list, plane crash, san salvador, taca airlines, tegucigalpa honduras, toncontin, two cars, wreckage