Four kids among 171 dead in Russian floodsJuly 10th, 2012 - 7:02 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 10 (IANS) While floods in Russia’s Krasnodar region have killed at least 171 people, the toll includes four children aged between one to 12 in the Krymsk town, the worst affected by Saturday’s natural disaster, RIA Novosti reported Monday.
“According to the latest data, four children including a 12-tear-old girl, two eight-year-old girls and a one-year-old boy, have been killed,” said Nikolai Warshavets, top forensic official in the regional healthcare body.
At least 171 people, many of them elderly or handicapped, died and over 5,000 houses submerged when torrential floods hit the Krasnodar region in southern Russia on the night of July 7-8, said officials.
Russian Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov has said about 10,000 rescuers and over 1,000 machinery units are working on the spot.
The main stage of the search operation in Krymsk town had been completed as the “six residential areas, rivers’ beds and roadways had been thoroughly examined,” the minister said Monday.
He dismissed rumours suggesting water from a local reservoir had contributed to the flooding.
- Russia mourns flood deaths - Jul 09, 2012
- Russia to spend $280 mn on flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Russian flood toll rises to 100 - Jul 08, 2012
- Over 140 dead in Russian floods (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Putin visits flood affected region - Jul 08, 2012
- Putin reaches flood-hit town - Jul 16, 2012
- Russian flood toll rises to 144 - Jul 09, 2012
- Putin orders probe into improper flood warning - Jul 10, 2012
- Rains, floods kill 50 in Russia - Jul 07, 2012
- Russia rains: Toll rises to nearly 80 (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- US offers help in Russia flood disaster - Jul 08, 2012
- 11 dead in Russia flooding - Oct 17, 2010
- Putin warns of action over slow flood warning - Jul 19, 2012
- FIFA World Cup delegates visit Samara - Jun 22, 2012
- Minute's silence at Russian Super Cup - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: beds, emergencies, floods in russia, krasnodar region, moscow, natural disaster, nikolai, novosti, old girl, old girls, regional healthcare, rescuers, residential areas, rivers, roadways, search operation, southern russia, vladimir