Four German soldiers killed in AfghanistanApril 16th, 2010 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Kabul/Berlin, April 15 (DPA) Four German soldiers were killed Thursday in one of the deadliest attacks ever on German forces in northern Afghanistan, Afghan government and German officials said.
Hours later, the Germans were still trying to pin down the attackers, Germany’s Afghan command near Berlin said.
Five others were wounded in the clash, in which a German armoured patrol was set upon with rockets, according to the German and Taliban accounts. The German command said it was not known if any of the Taliban fighters had been killed when their forces returned fire.
The deaths raise Germany’s death toll in Afghan fighting and bombings to 26. If accidental deaths are included, Germany has now lost 43 soldiers in the Afghan conflict.
Germany had said Wednesday that it would be deploying long-range tracked artillery into Afghanistan in response to growing attacks from the Taliban.
The latest attack happened while a joint Afghan and NATO operation that began Wednesday was under way against militants in the Baghlan- e-Markazi district of the northern province of Baghlan, Dadullah Mahsoumi, the provincial police chief, said.
- German soldiers kill five Afghan troops - Apr 03, 2010
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 20 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Apr 18, 2010
- NATO airstrike kills 25 Taliban in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 29, 2010
- Two US soldiers among 16 killed in Afghanistan - Jun 16, 2010
- Militant ambush in Afghanistan kills three German soldiers - Apr 03, 2010
- Suicide attack kills seven policemen in Afghanistan - Aug 05, 2010
- NATO soldier, 14 Taliban fighters killed in Afghanistan - Jun 01, 2010
- 50 militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 29, 2012
- 13 US soldiers die in Kabul bombing - Oct 29, 2011
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- Afghan provincial governor succumbs to suicide blast injuries - May 29, 2011
- Terrorist attack foiled in Kabul - Nov 30, 2011
- Taliban exploiting openings in neglected northern Afghan province - Jul 30, 2010
- Infighting between two Afghan groups leaves dozens dead - Mar 07, 2010
Tags: accidental deaths, afghan conflict, afghan government, afghanistan kabul, attackers, baghlan, bombings, deadliest attacks, death toll, german forces, german officials, german soldiers, markazi, nato operation, northern afghanistan, northern province, police chief, provincial police, soldiers killed in afghanistan, taliban fighters