Four doctors visited Israeli soldier held in Gaza Strip: reportDecember 6th, 2009 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza/Tel Aviv, Dec 6 (DPA) A team of four French doctors visited the Gaza Strip last week to examine an Israeli soldier held there for three-and-a-half years, ahead of a possible prisoner exchange between Israel and Hamas.
There was, however, no official confirmation from Israel or Hamas of the report, which appeared in the Sama Palestinian news agency and in other Arab media. The father of the Israeli soldier told the Y-Net news site that he had no knowledge of the doctors’ visit.
Gilad Shalit was snatched during a cross-border raid three militants launched from the Gaza Strip June 25, 2006, and has been held, virtually incommunicado, since then.
Hamas is demanding that Israel free hundreds of Palestinian prisoners from its jails in return for the soldier. Negotiations over the deal, conducted at first under Egyptian mediation, but now being carried out via German auspices, are said to be well advanced.
According to the reports Sunday, the four doctors entered the Strip via the Rafah crossing from Egypt one week ago, and, under heavy Hamas guard, were taken to see Shalit. The German mediator accompanied them.
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel frees 19 Palestinian prisoners in proof-of-life deal - Oct 02, 2009
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israel inner cabinet meets to discuss prisoner swap deal - Dec 21, 2009
- Israel names Palestinian prisoners to swap for Shalit - Oct 16, 2011
- To avoid abduction, Israeli troops to carry tear gas - Nov 24, 2011
- Majority of Israelis favour freeing militants in return for Shalit - Dec 26, 2009
- Israel to ease Gaza blockade - Jun 17, 2010
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: arab media, auspices, border raid, cross border, free hundreds, french doctors, gaza strip, half years, hamas, israeli soldier, jails, mediation, mediator, militants, news site, palestinian news agency, palestinian prisoners, prisoner exchange, rafah crossing, tel aviv