Four arrested in Punjab for killing NRIOctober 31st, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Jalandhar (Punjab), Oct 31 (IANS) Four alleged contract killers have been arrested in Punjab on charges of murdering a US-based NRI in September, police said here Sunday.
Mahinderjit Singh was shot dead Sep 6 when he was to go to Delhi to board a flight back to the US. He had come on a vacation to his village Manak Dheri here.
“Some unidentified people opened fire at him and robbed his family members. They knew that he was returning to the US and was carrying lots of money. We suspect it to be the handiwork of someone who was very close to the family,” a police official said.
“During investigations, we found that Mahinderjit’s nephew Lakhwinder Pal, who is also based in the US, hired contract killers through his friend Jatinder Singh (a resident of Jalandhar). Lakhwinder wanted to take revenge from his uncle over some old family dispute,” the official said.
Those arrested were identified as Jatinder Singh, Naresh Kumar, Rahul and Pardeep Singh. Lakhwinder was still at large, the official said.
- NRI murdered in Punjab, search on for killers - Sep 07, 2010
- Canadian citizen arrested with cocaine in Punjab - Sep 03, 2012
- 16-year-old charged in Wisconsin murder of elderly Sikh - Aug 18, 2012
- Punjab NRI panel asks police to trace runaway husband - May 16, 2012
- Wisconsin gurdwara member shot dead - Aug 17, 2012
- Punjab man murdered in Melbourne - Apr 23, 2011
- Respond to NRI complaints, Punjab officials told - Jul 23, 2011
- Family of murdered Jalandhar hotelier demands justice - Apr 22, 2011
- Punjabi youth stranded in Libya after being promised jobs - Nov 25, 2010
- Two arrested for attack on gang leader in Ghaziabad - Nov 25, 2011
- Youth killed, honour killing suspected - Jul 08, 2011
- Punjab legislator's nephew kills Jalandhar hotelier (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Four held with 221 kg of marijuana in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011
- Punjab's runaway NRI grooms lose passports - Jul 06, 2011
- No arrests yet in MMS-linked Punjab double murder - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: contract killers, family dispute, family members, handiwork, investigations, jalandhar punjab, jatinder singh, lots of money, naresh kumar, nephew, oct 31, pardeep singh, police official, rahul, revenge, unidentified people