Four arrested after 14-year-old girl ‘lashed to death’ in BangladeshFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 3:39 pm ICT by ANI
Dhaka, Feb 3(ANI): Four people, including a Muslim cleric, have been arrested in Bangladesh in connection with the death of a 14-year-old girl who was publicly lashed.
Hena Begum’s was accused of having an affair with a married man, and a Shariatpur village court gave the punishment under Islamic Sharia law.
The teenager reportedly received 80 lashes, and died after being taken to hospital.
“Her family members said she was admitted to a hospital after the incident and she died six days later. The village elders also asked the girl’s father to pay a fine of about 50,000 Taka,” the BBC quoted Shariatpur Superintendent of Police Shahidur Rahman, as saying.
Rahman further said that the police are yet to establish whether Hena died because of the punishment she received or another reason.
“We are still waiting for the post-mortem report. In the meantime, we are also looking for another 14 people including a teacher from a local madrassa in connection with this case,” Rahman said.
Meanwhile, Hena’s father Dorbesh Khan has said that those responsible for the death should be punished.
“What sort of justice is this? My daughter has been beaten to death in the name of justice. If it had been a proper court then my daughter would not have died,” Khan said.
This is the second reported fatality linked to a Sharia law punishment since the practice was outlawed in the country by a High Court last year.
A 40-year-old woman had died in December, days after she was publicly caned for allegedly having an affair with her stepson. (ANI)
- Dhaka court orders trial in raped, flogged girl's death - Feb 11, 2011
- Bangladesh court demands govt explanation over failure to protest 'whipped to death' teen - Feb 06, 2011
- Outraged Bangladeshi family demands justice for 'whipped to death' raped daughter - Feb 05, 2011
- Bleeding killed 'whipped to death' Bangladesh girl, finds fresh post-mortem report - Feb 10, 2011
- Bangladesh court orders exhumation of 'whipped to death' girl's body for new autopsy - Feb 08, 2011
- Teenager raped, whipped to death in Bangladesh - Feb 03, 2011
- Bangladeshi rape victim was whipped to death, court told - Feb 10, 2011
- Rs.20 lakh relief for terror suspect's custody death (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- 500 women fatwa victims in Bangladesh in past 10 years - Feb 14, 2011
- Indonesian woman 'whipped in public over extramarital affairs' - Apr 10, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court seeks scholars' opinion on fatwas - Mar 11, 2011
- Briton jailed for kicking stepson to death - May 15, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- After village court allows live-in, woman, stepson forced to leave village - Jul 23, 2012
- Body of girl raped, whipped to be exhumed - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, bbc, begum, dhaka, family members, fatality, having an affair, having an affair with a married man, islamic sharia law, lashes, law punishment, madrassa, muslim cleric, old girl, old woman, post mortem report, six days, stepson, superintendent, village elders