Four Afghan poll officials arrestedDecember 6th, 2010 - 7:54 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Dec. 6 (ANI): The Hamid Karzai Government in Afghanistan has ordered the arrest of four Afghan election commission officials on charges of abuse of office and corruption.
The government has been deeply critical of the panel’s handling of disputed parliamentary elections.
The chief of the Independent Election Commission, Abdullah Ahmadzai, confirmed the arrests of the head of the commission’s logistics department and three lower-level employees.
The New York Times quoted Ahmadzai, as saying that the attorney general had ordered the four taken from the commission’s offices for questioning in a 2009 case. Later, the police ordered their detention.
“We do not really know the intention behind this. I cannot call it anything other than pressure at this time. We have been trying to get clarity why they have been arrested,” Ahmadzai said.
Hafizullah Hafiz, the head of the complaints department in the office of Attorney General Mohammed Ishaq Aloko, said all four were charged with abuse of official office and corruption in a purchasing related to the 2009 presidential election, not the parliamentary elections on September 18 this year. (ANI)
- Karzai Govt. issues arrest warrants, puts pressure on Afghan poll Officials - Nov 26, 2010
- Afghan official says US ambassador suggested he resign - Jun 29, 2010
- Karzai Government challenges poll results - Nov 25, 2010
- US officials slam Karzai aides over derailing corruption cases - Jun 28, 2010
- Sacked Afghan prosecutor says he was removed for not blocking corruption probes - Aug 29, 2010
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka court frees ex-army chief's aides - Sep 25, 2010
- Afghan president vows to combat corruption in his government - Dec 15, 2009
- Bihar dismisses five police officials for corruption - Feb 10, 2012
- Dhaka lawmaker may be unseated for conviction - Jul 15, 2010
- Karzai opens Afghan parliament - Jan 26, 2011
- First for Pakistan, PM indicted for contempt (Second Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Harsh sentence demanded for mogul in kids' pornogrpahy case - Apr 10, 2011
- US concerned over Karzai order to review West-backed anti-graft bodies - Aug 06, 2010
- Order reserved on plea seeking curb on 'illegal charges' by car dealers - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,