Former Oz PM Rudd appointed foreign affairs minister in Gillard’s new cabinetSeptember 11th, 2010 - 12:06 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Sept 11 (ANI): Former Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, has been appointed as the Foreign Affairs Minister in Julia Gillard’s new cabinet.
Rudd, who was Labor foreign affairs spokesman while in opposition, would take over from Stephen Smith who has held the portfolio since Labor won the 2007 election. Smith has been appointed as the Defense Minister of the country, News.com.au reports.
Earlier, the country’s first female premier, Julia Gillard, had promised that Rudd would be appointed to a senior position in her cabinet.
Meanwhile, Smith admitted that he would have preferred to remain foreign minister but acknowledged Gillard’s right to choose her own cabinet.
“I was very happy to continue with foreign affairs but it was the prime minister’s decision to appoint Rudd to that role. She asked me what I would like to do and I said defence,” Smith added.
However, many experts had raised concerns prior to his appointment, saying, he would be a “risky choice” for the job as he had damaged relations with key international partners while in power. (ANI)
- Offering Rudd Foreign Affairs portfolio 'beset with risk', experts warn Gillard - Sep 08, 2010
- No room for Rudd in Gillard's new cabinet - Jun 28, 2010
- Former Australian premier Rudd to be foreign minister - Sep 11, 2010
- Bob Carr is Australia's new foreign minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Rudd foreign minister in Gillard's new cabinet (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Julia Gillard sworn in as Australia's PM (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Australia's foreign minister quits - Feb 22, 2012
- Gillard assures Rudd won't dominate Oz foreign policy initiatives - Sep 12, 2010
- Rudd branded "prime minister in exile" by Oz opposition - Sep 14, 2010
- Gillard sworn in as Australia's PM - Sep 14, 2010
- Kevin Rudd to challenge leadership - Feb 24, 2012
- Rudd to address Australian American Leadership Dialogue in US - Jul 09, 2010
- 'Atheist' Oz PM Gillard urged to use more religious terms in condolence speeches - Nov 27, 2010
- Oz opposition leader says Rudd wrong choice for foreign minister - Sep 11, 2010
- Australian foreign minister quits (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: affairs spokesman, appointment, australian prime minister, canberra, country news, defense minister, female premier, foreign affairs minister, foreign minister, international partners, job, julia gillard, kevin rudd, new cabinet, opposition, risky choice, sept 11, stephen smith