Former Oz Olympic champion Fraser to boycott Beijing OlympicsApril 9th, 2008 - 2:28 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, Apr.9 (ANI): Australian Olympic legend Dawn Fraser has said that she will not attend the Beijing Games in August.
It will be only the second Olympic Games the four-times gold medallist has not attended since making her Olympic debut in Melbourne, in 1956.
Fraser missed the 2004 Athens Olympics after a spat with the Australian Olympic Committee in which she claimed it had failed to invite her to the event, a charge the committee later denied.
“As a spectator, I am making my own statement by not going. I support the Tibetans [but] I don’t support the violence that the protesters are creating. It’s a shame it’s taken place during the torch relay but I don’t think it will dampen the Olympic spirit at all. China should also never have been awarded the right to host the Games on account of their human rights record, she told the AAP news agency.
The future of the international Olympic torch relay is now in doubt after pro-Tibetan demonstrators shadowed the Olympic torch relay as it progressed through Europe, violently clashing with police and officials on the streets of London and Paris this week.
Fellow former Olympic swimmer Susie O’Neill has also spoken out over the torch controversy, saying the relay had been hijacked by protesters and should be scrapped.
The torch relay will continue in San Francisco tomorrow. (ANI)
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Olympic torch relay hit by flash protests - Jul 22, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- Be true to human nature: Olympic Flame ceremonies High Priestess - Jul 18, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: 2004 athens olympics, aap news, australian olympic committee, beijing olympics, dawn fraser, gold medallist, international olympic, o neill, olympic champion, olympic debut, olympic games, olympic legend, olympic spirit, olympic swimmer, olympic torch relay, olympics sydney, san francisco tomorrow, streets of london, tibetan demonstrators, tibetans