Former Miss Venezuela dies at 28December 19th, 2011 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Dec 19 (IANS/EFE) Former Miss Venezuela Eva Ekvall died in Houston after fighting breast cancer since last year, her representatives said. She was 28.
“Sadly, cancer had the last word,” writer Leonardo Padron told Globovision.
Ekvall, an actress and news anchor, died Saturday after “demonstrating extraordinary calm and courage in her fight against cancer,” Padron said, without confirming whether the body would be sent home to Venezuela.
The former beauty queen wrote a book after being diagnosed with breast cancer last year and tried to raise awareness of the disease.
“Now I know what it feels like to not have a hair on your head,” she said in a Twitter posting March 10.
In Venezuela, “we invest a lot of money in looking beautiful and not in health care”, the former model said.
Well-known photographer Roberto Mata worked with Ekvall to chronicle her fight against cancer in the book “Fuera de Foco”.
- Venezuelan beauty queen pens book on life with breast cancer - Mar 30, 2011
- Ex Miss Venezuela's book on her breast cancer battle breaks taboos - Feb 22, 2011
- Chavez bumps opposition hopeful from airwaves - Sep 18, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela is free - Apr 11, 2012
- Venezuelan anti-Chavez farmer dies after hunger strike - Aug 31, 2010
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- 16 die in Venezuela prison violence - Oct 01, 2010
- Prison official slain in Venezuela - Jul 07, 2012
- Inmates' relatives occupy two Venezuelan prisons - Feb 17, 2010
- Six die in Venezuelan gold mine clash - Jan 12, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Eva Longoria wants US to protect child farm workers - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: actress, beauty queen, breast cancer, calm, caracas, courage, efe, eva, fighting breast cancer, foco, former model, health care, last word, leonardo, Miss Venezuela, news anchor, padron, photographer, roberto mata, twitter