Former Israeli president indicted for sex offencesMarch 19th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, March 19 (DPA) Former Israeli president Moshe Katsav was indicted in the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court Thursday on charges of rape and indecent assault against a complainant who previously worked for him while he was Israel’s minister for tourism.
He was also charged with sexual harassment against an employee who worked at the president’s residence during his tenure.
The charges span Katsav’s time at the tourism ministry between 1996 and 1999, and his term as president between 2000 and 2007.
The lengthy indictment accuses Katsav of systematically abusing his power over the complainants in order to force improper relations of a sexual nature.
The prosecution named 56 witnesses, including the complainants and various public figures.
Katsav, 63, resigned the presidency in July 2007 because of the accusations. In 2006 he had complained to the Attorney General that he was being blackmailed by one of his employees, although the following investigations then implicated him in a range of sexual offences.
He signed a plea bargain in June 2007, that included comparatively mild sexual offences such as indecent assault and sexual harassment, but withdrew from it in April last year.
- Former Israeli president found guilty of rape - Dec 30, 2010
- Ex-Israeli president convicted of rape - Dec 30, 2010
- Jailed ex-Israeli president freed for seven hours - May 21, 2012
- Trial of former Israeli president Katsav resumes - Sep 01, 2009
- Ex-Israel president sent to jail for seven years for rape - Mar 22, 2011
- Former Israeli president to face rape, sexual assault charges - Mar 08, 2009
- Former Israeli President to be charged for rape - Mar 09, 2009
- Israel's ex-president allowed plea bargain - Feb 26, 2008
- BBC presenter admits sex assaults on teenaged girls - Jan 14, 2012
- Four Oz boys aged 11 to 14 charged with sexual assault - Mar 24, 2011
- Avadesh Prakesh senior-most officer to be dismissed from Army (To go with 'Sukna scam: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service') - Dec 03, 2011
- Accused in 1992 Ajmer sex scandal case arrested - Jan 03, 2012
- Former Israel PM convicted but escapes fraud charge - Jul 10, 2012
- UK doc 'sexually assaulted patients and told a colleague to keep quiet' - Apr 19, 2011
- I collected child porn for thesis: Man tells court - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: accusations, complainant, dpa, indecent assault, indictment, israeli president moshe katsav, magistrate, march 19, moshe katsav, plea bargain, presidency, president moshe katsav, prosecution, sex offences, sexual harassment, sexual nature, sexual offences, tel aviv, tenure, tourism ministry