Former Haryana minister Kanda surrenders, arrested (Lead)August 18th, 2012 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, accused of abetting the suicide of former flight attendant Geetika Sharma, surrendered early Saturday at a police station here, an official said. He has been arrested.
Kanda had been absconding since Aug 8 after Sharma, 23, blamed him and another official of his now-defunct MDLR Airlines, Aruna Chadha, for harassing her and forcing her to commit suicide. She died on the night of Aug 4-5.
“He (Kanda) surrendered at Bharat Nagar police station at around 4 a.m. He has been arrested,” a police official said.
“He is likely to be produced in the court later in the day,” the official added.
While Kanda’s brother had informed the police about the possibility of his surrender, it was after hours of drama that the former Haryana minister surrendered.
Kanda owned the MDLR Airlines where Sharma worked as a flight attendant. After the airline ceased to function in 2009, Sharma was given a job in another company owned by him.
According to Geetika’s brother, Ankit Sharma, his sister was being constantly mentally harassed by Kanda and his colleague Aruna Chadha.
Chadha, a senior functionary with now defunct MDLR airlines, has been arrested and is in judicial custody.
Kanda, who resigned as minister of state for home and urban local bodies in Haryana, was booked for abetment to suicide by Delhi Police.
- Kanda surrenders - Aug 18, 2012
- Kanda arrested after surrender, to be taken to court (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Police search Kanda's farmhouse for evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Kanda evades reply to 7 key questions - Aug 19, 2012
- Kanda's office, home searched - Aug 19, 2012
- Cops summon Kanda for questioning in Geetika suicide - Aug 08, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
- Had Kanda sexually exploited Geetika? - Aug 18, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Police to question Chaddha for three more days (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda - Aug 16, 2012
- Kanda's Gurgaon farmhouse, office searched (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Gurgaon women to march for Geetika to Jantar Mantar - Aug 22, 2012
- Hearing on Aruna Chaddha's bail plea deferred - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: abetment, airline, ankit, aruna, brother, chadha, colleague, delhi police, flight attendant, haryana minister, job, judicial custody, mdlr airlines, minister of state, New Delhi, police official, police station, suicide, surrender