Former FARC captive believes rebels will free all hostages soonJune 11th, 2008 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, June 11 (IANS) A former Colombian senator who has spent nearly seven years in the captivity of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) has expressed his hope that the leftist guerrilla group will soon release all its hostages, EFE news agency reported Wednesday. Luis Eladio Perez, who was freed in February by the FARC, told reporters Tuesday prior to a meeting with Colombian President Alvaro Uribe that he was expecting an announcement soon from the rebel group about the release of other captives.
He said an operation to hand over more hostages was under way and it would soon become clear where and how the captives would be delivered.
Perez, like the other five hostages released by the FARC earlier this year, was turned over to representatives of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. But the former senator said that the next phase of handover of hostages could involve Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva or Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa.
It is also possible, Perez said, that the FARC might directly deliver hostages to representatives of Uribe.
“The process is under way and very soon the site, the conditions, the coordinates and the people to whom they (the captives) will be delivered will be known, whether to President Chavez, to Correa, to Lula or to Uribe,” Perez said outside Casa de Nari
- Betancourt urges Lula to help Colombia mend diputes with neighbours - Jul 10, 2008
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- South American nations upset over US plans for Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- 'Two more Latin American presidents will get cancer' - Jan 05, 2012
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Juan Manuel Santos takes over as Colombia's president - Aug 08, 2010
- Venezuela, Colombia agree to resume relations - Aug 11, 2010
- No grudges at talks with Colombian government: FARC - Sep 04, 2012
- US-Colombia base deal unconstitutional - Aug 18, 2010
- Chavez hails Colombian hostage rescue, wishes talks with Uribe - Jul 04, 2008
- Former president Kirchner's death stuns Argentina - Oct 28, 2010
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- US calls Chavez cancer comment horrific - Dec 30, 2011
- Venezuela freezes relations with Colombia - Jul 30, 2009
- Colombian rebels to release long-held captive - Apr 17, 2009
Tags: brazilian president luiz inacio lula, captives, colombian president, farc, five hostages, guerrilla group, hugo chavez, luiz inacio lula da silva, lula da silva, nari, president alvaro uribe, president chavez, president hugo chavez, president luiz inacio lula, president luiz inacio lula da silva, rebel group, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez