Former boxer murdered in EcuadorJuly 16th, 2012 - 12:03 pm ICT by IANS
Guayaquil (Ecuador), July 16 (IANS/EFE) Former boxer Jaime Quinonez was murdered at a restaurant in Quito, Ecuadorian police said.
The 38-year-old Quinonez, known as “La Bestia”, was killed Saturday night, a police spokesperson said Sunday.
Quinonez was killed by two gunmen around 7.10 p.m., police spokesperson Capt. Alex Romero said.
One gunshot hit the former boxer in the head, Romero said, adding that the assailants fled the scene.
At least four shots were fired at Quinonez, who was a regular at the restaurant, an eyewitness said.
Two suspects have been arrested in connection with the murder, Romero said.
Quinonez successfully defended the inter-American heavyweight title of the International Boxing Federation in 1997 by knocking out American Willie “Dragon” Drive.
- 17 dead, 40 hurt in Ecuador accident - Apr 14, 2011
- Photojournalist who witnessed crime slain in Ecuador - Jul 03, 2012
- South America backs Ecuador's asylum offer to Assange - Aug 20, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Ecuador expels US ambassador - Apr 06, 2011
- Ecuadorian interior minister's brother murdered - Sep 03, 2012
- Britain threatening to take Assange by force: Ecuador - Aug 16, 2012
- Ecuador begins destroying WW II bombs - Jan 18, 2012
- Ecuador to deliver $538 mn worth of oil to China - Dec 10, 2011
- Football team president gunned down in Ecuador - Jan 17, 2011
- Mana rocks Ecuador concert - Feb 26, 2012
- US gives military gear worth $1.2 mn to Ecuador - May 11, 2010
- Four die in Ecuador gold mine blast - Feb 24, 2012
- Two shot dead in beauty parlour - Sep 28, 2011
- Ecuadorian central bank official gored at bullfight - Jul 18, 2012
- Ecuador yet to decide on Wikileaks founder's asylum - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,