Foreign journalists targeted by Gaddafi’s men after gang-rape claim by Libyan womanMarch 27th, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
Tripoli, Mar 27(ANI): International journalists, who tried to intervene to protect Iman al-Obeidi who claims that she was gang-raped for two days by 15 of Libyan dictator Muammar al-Gaddafi’s henchmen in Tripoli, have alleged that they were assaulted by government minders.
Channel 4 News foreign affairs correspondent Jonathan Miller said that he had been pushed out of the way while trying to defend the woman.
“I was punched, violently pushed backwards over a chair and pushed to the floor,” the Daily Mail quoted Miller, as saying.
“In seeking to keep her away from the media, the minders not only came after her, but the journalists too,” he added.
Sky News foreign affairs correspondent Lisa Holland was among the reporters caught up in the melee.
A CNN camera was also smashed on the ground and ripped to pieces by the government minders.
A desperate plea for help from the world was made yesterday by Obeidi who burst into a press briefing being held at a hotel in Tripoli and told how Gaddafi’s troops had held her at gunpoint at a checkpoint, tied her up, then led her away to be raped by 15 men over two days.
In response, a hotel waitress brandished a butter knife, a government minder reached for his handgun and another waitress pulled a jacket tightly over her head.
The waiters called her a traitor and tried to stop her talking.
Government minders eventually overpowered the woman and led her outside, shoving her into a car that sped away. Obeidi kept crying that she was certain she would be thrown in jail.
At a hastily arranged press conference following the incident, Moussa Ibrahim, a government spokesman, said investigators had told him that the woman was drunk and possibly mentally challenged. (ANI)
- Alleged rape victim still held by Gaddafi: Family - Mar 29, 2011
- Reporter recalls how she fought Gaddafi's goons to try to rescue raped woman - Apr 03, 2011
- Libya frees woman allegedly raped by militia after branding her a 'prostitute' - Mar 28, 2011
- Senior cop, four others arrested for rape and torture of Libyan woman - Mar 28, 2011
- Libyan gang rape victim reveals details of torture by pro-Gaddafi men - Apr 13, 2011
- Libya rape claim woman now facing criminal charges - Mar 30, 2011
- 'Fuelled by Viagra' Gaddafi forces using rape as weapon against rebel children, women - Apr 26, 2011
- Gaddafi sends envoy to Athens to deliver 'personal message' - Apr 04, 2011
- Libyan rebels doubt Gaddafi's son is dead - May 01, 2011
- Alleged Libyan rape victim says she was freed after medical test proved her story - Apr 05, 2011
- Gaddafi is a psychological wreck, says ex-Libyan Foreign Affairs Minister - Apr 02, 2011
- Libya welcomes Russian efforts in peace talks - Jul 21, 2011
- Two Libyan journalists killed in NATO raid: Official - May 13, 2011
- Reporters imprisoned in Libya - Aug 24, 2011
- Sunni leader assassinated in Iraq - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: affairs correspondent, butter knife, channel 4 news, cnn, daily mail, desperate plea, gang rape, government spokesman, gunpoint, handgun, henchmen, international journalists, jonathan miller, lisa holland, muammar al gaddafi, obeidi, sky news, tripoli, waiters, waitress