Foreign diplomats get Chinese lessonsJuly 10th, 2010 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 10 (IANS) A total of 31 diplomats from 16 countries attended the first Chinese language programme that included classes on culture, opera, paper cutting, calligraphy and shadow boxing.
The study programme concluded Saturday, Xinhua reported citing the Chinese Language Council International.
The programme, which started Feb 27 with a two-hour class every Saturday, attracted 31 diplomats from 16 countries, including Slovenia, Benin, Poland, Cameroon, Kenya, Nepal, Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Mexico, Afghanistan, and the Philippines.
“We have a lot to do in China and that makes us feel that it is necessary to learn Chinese. Not only have we learnt the Chinese language, we have also made friends with the dedicated teachers and volunteer students,” Tadeusz Chomicki, Polish ambassador to China, was quoted as saying.
During the classes, the diplomats learned how to greet others, shop and ask the time in Chinese.
“Their enthusiasm towards the Chinese language has moved us a lot,” Xu Lin, director-general of the council, said.
To meet the demand of more foreign diplomats willing to learn Chinese, the next Chinese language programme will be held in September, Xu said.
- Foreign diplomats learn to speak Chinese - Sep 19, 2010
- China to help Indian teachers learn Chinese - Aug 25, 2012
- China promotes calligraphy as hand-writing gets sloppy - Aug 28, 2011
- Chinese premier Wen visits Delhi school - Dec 15, 2010
- Delhi students to flaunt their Mandarin before Wen - Dec 13, 2010
- Wen seeks to win Indians with Tagore, tai-chi, calligraphy - Dec 11, 2010
- Rediscovering the ancient Indian art of handwriting - Sep 05, 2012
- Chinese painting sells for record $42 mn - Dec 07, 2011
- India-China friends forever: Wen Jiabao - Dec 15, 2010
- Final medal table at 2012 London Olympic Games - Aug 13, 2012
- World Boxing meet: 72 boxers qualify for London Olympics - Oct 07, 2011
- Manmohan kicks off week of high-wire Africa diplomacy - May 22, 2011
- Olympics: Medal tally - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Medals' tally - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Medals' tally (Updated) - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: beijing, calligraphy, cameroon, chinese language, chinese lessons, dedicated teachers, diplomats, director general, kenya, malawi, namibia, nepal, others shop, philippines, polish ambassador, romania, shadow boxing, volunteer students, xinhua, zimbabwe