Foreign adoption last resort for Haiti quake orphans: UnicefJanuary 20th, 2010 - 3:39 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, Jan 20 (IANS/EFE) The United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) said Tuesday that international adoption should be the “last resort” for children orphaned by last week’s catastrophic earthquake in Haiti.
“Unicef’s position has always been that whatever the humanitarian situation, family reunification must be favoured,” spokeswoman Veronique Taveau said during a press briefing in Geneva.
“The last resort is inter-country adoption,” she said.
Taveau said Unicef is working to find and identify children left without parents after last Tuesday’s devastating earthquake in the country.
“We find them, identify them and register them, and favour family reunification,” she said, adding that for Unicef’s purposes, family includes uncles and aunts, cousins, grandparents and more distant relatives.
Unicef expressed concern amid reports of efforts to speed international adoptions of Haitian children in the aftermath of the disaster, which is estimated to have left about 200,000 people dead.
Half of Haiti’s nine million residents are below the age of 18.
- 80 Haitian orphans reach US, handed over to adoptive parents - Jan 23, 2010
- US Adopts 53 Haiti Orphans: More Requests Pending - Jan 20, 2010
- Now, a film on the Haiti quake - Oct 12, 2010
- Jolie not adopting fourth child - Feb 15, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh child adoptions under court scanner - Jan 10, 2011
- 10 Americans arrested in Haiti for child trafficking - Feb 01, 2010
- Adoption guidelines revised in 2011: Minister - Aug 17, 2012
- Unicef appeals for $1.3 bn - Jan 28, 2012
- Protecting Haiti orphans is Jolie's top priority - Jun 29, 2010
- Robbie Williams wants to adopt from Haiti - Jun 07, 2010
- Orphans Seized At Airport To Be Sent To USA - Feb 24, 2010
- Children 'disappeared' from hospitals in Haiti: UN - Jan 22, 2010
- UNICEF appeals for $1.2 bn to help children in 2012 - Jan 28, 2012
- Wyclef Jean requests Brangelina to adopt next child from Haiti - May 27, 2010
- UNICEF appeals for $1.28 billion for 2012 humanitarian aid - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,