Forced to marry rapist, girl kills selfMarch 16th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 16 (IANS) A 16-year-old girl in Morocco swallowed rat poison and died after her forced marriage to a man who raped her a year earlier, a media report said.
The March 10 suicide by Amina Filali has provoked outrage from human rights groups and across the internet, Sky News reported.
An online petition, a Facebook page and Twitter users all called for changes to Morocco’s laws that allows for kidnappers and rapists of minors to marry the victims and escape prosecution.
In an interview with an online newspaper, the victim’s father said the girl was raped when she was 15. A court pushed for the marriage, and he agreed when told he faces up to 20 years in jail if he did not agree.
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- Rapist priest's seven-year term upheld (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Bangla gangrape victim kills self - Feb 23, 2011
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Rapists of 'willing' girl survive tough punishment - Feb 21, 2012
- Her husband tried to sell her for Rs.25,000 - Dec 16, 2010
- Rapist priest jailed for seven years - Apr 03, 2012
- 'Create a helpline for rape victims' - Mar 02, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Mukhtaran Mai abused her power: WikiLeaks - Jun 13, 2011
- 4 Bangladesh doctors to be tried for faking autopsy report - Mar 28, 2011
- Two school officials dismissed for negligence in rape case - Sep 26, 2011
- Castration for rapist? Many women don't agree - May 03, 2011
- Anti 'honour-based' marriage law sought in New Zealand - Jan 29, 2011
- Crime capital records five rapes in three days - Feb 28, 2012