Forbes says Gates no longer the world’s richestMarch 11th, 2010 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar.11 (ANI): Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim is the world’s richest person, knocking Microsoft founder Bill Gates into second spot, as the wealth of the world’s billionaires grew by 50 per cent over the last year.
Forbes magazine reports it’s only the second time since 1995 that Gates has lost the crown.
Slim’s net worth has been pegged at 53.5 billion dollars, whereas Gates has a fortune of 53 billion dollars. Investor Warren Buffett came in at number three with 47 billion dollars.
Slim, a telecommunications magnate, made his fortune after buying Mexico’s national telephone company on the cheap in 1990, The Times reported.
An engineer by training, he now controls more than 200 businesses, ranging from mining and construction groups to hotels and cigarette-makers.
There are now 1011 billionaires, compared with 793 last year and 1125 in 2008. (ANI)
- Mexican Carlos Slim tops world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani amongst Forbes top ten Billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- Carlos Slim remains world's richest person - Mar 11, 2011
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal among world's top ten billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Mexico's Carlos Slim is the richest man in the world - Mar 12, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani richest among 48 Indian billionaires - Mar 08, 2012
- Hosni Mubarak richest man in world with estimated 70 billion dollar fortune: Report - Feb 08, 2011
- Bill Gates stays richest American for 17th year in a row - Sep 23, 2010
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- World's richest man against pledging his fortune to charity - Aug 07, 2010
- Fifty Indians on Forbes' global billionaire club - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: bill gates, billion dollars, billionaires, carlos slim, cigarette makers, construction groups, engineer, forbes magazine, fortune, founder bill gates, investor, magnate, microsoft founder, national telephone, net worth, richest person, second time, telephone company, tycoon, warren buffett