Forbes names Baidu founder Robin Li Chinese mainland’s richestApril 29th, 2011 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 29 (ANI): Robin Li, CEO of China’s top domestic search engine Baidu, has been named as the richest man among 115 billionaires in the mainland area by the Forbes magazine, with a personal fortune of 5.64 billion dollars.
Li founded Baidu in 1999 after working in for several search engine companies, including the sector’s pioneer, Infoseek, and The Wall Street Journal.
The first annual list of Chinese billionaires for 2011 released by Forbes magazine has also claimed that wealthy Chinese have become the world’s second largest group of tycoons after those in the United States.
“A circle of wealthy Chinese people is taking shape. Wherever the billionaires are residing, their businesses are getting more and more related with the opening up and fast growing market on China’s mainland. The market and clients they serve are mainly Chinese too,” The Independent quoted Zhou Jiangong, chief editor of Forbes China, as saying.
Other Hong Kong based tycoons who secured second and third place were the Malaysian Chinese palm oil and property magnates, Thomas & Raymond Kwok & family, with 12 billion pounds and Lee Shau Kee with 11.4 billion pounds.
“The development of residential projects, hotels, commercial properties and the quick urbanisation on China’s mainland has provided a unprecedented feast of fortune,” Zhou added.
Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing, with a fortune of 15.6 billion pounds, remains the richest Chinese man in the world. (ANI)
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- 83 people on Hurun rich list have $1.5 trillion - Mar 06, 2012
- China billionaire rich list grows to 49 more - Oct 29, 2010
- London Olympic Village sold for 557 mn - Aug 14, 2011
- China's new millionaires buying up Britain - Jan 17, 2011
- China has 189 billionaires - Oct 12, 2010
- Mexican Carlos Slim tops world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- China has over 1 mn multi-millionaires - Jul 31, 2012
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Fifty Indians on Forbes' global billionaire club - Mar 10, 2011
- Chinese love Swiss watches - Feb 05, 2012
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani amongst Forbes top ten Billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Chinese search engine signs deal with music giants - Jul 20, 2011
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal wins Forbes Lifetime Achievement Award - Sep 08, 2008
Tags: baidu, billionaires, chief editor, chinese mainland, chinese man, forbes magazine, infoseek, largest group, li ka shing, magnates, mainland area, palm oil, personal fortune, raymond kwok, residential projects, richest man, search engine companies, taking shape, tycoons, wall street journal